2021 if not full season then......???!

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I would prefer that the activity be secular. 

Given all the difficulties with housing in Drum Corps, you'd turn down a church or parochial school gym?   

Do you know how many Drum Corps started from a church?

Know what "CYO" stands for?

• Like 1

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

Given all the difficulties with housing in Drum Corps, you'd turn down a church or parochial school gym?   

Do you know how many Drum Corps started from a church?

Know what "CYO" stands for?

This is true BUT that was a million years ago. Very different times for a longtime already. There is a mega church close to me that housed Devils several years ago and provided a filed. When asked a few years ago it was a flat out no and Devils were the perfect guest. 

I have even talked to community gyms for winter programs THAT SIT EMPTY on the weekends, Offered thousands for a Sat. Sun rehearsal with a million in liability Ins.. Response was NAW we rather leave it empty. I was floored, but not unusual.

Sad but true

32 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This is true BUT that was a million years ago. Very different times for a longtime already. There is a mega church close to me that housed Devils several years ago and provided a filed. When asked a few years ago it was a flat out no and Devils were the perfect guest. 

I have even talked to community gyms for winter programs THAT SIT EMPTY on the weekends, Offered thousands for a Sat. Sun rehearsal with a million in liability Ins.. Response was NAW we rather leave it empty. I was floored, but not unusual.

Sad but true

Not saying a church, or parochial school, would willingly house a Drum Corps today as they did 40 years ago.  We can thank our hyper-litigious society for that.  I’m saying it’s dumb to not even consider asking because they’re not “secular”

As if there'd be forced Bible-study after sectionals or something.  

• Like 1

My home church in Indiana was approached by a WGI independent guard for rehearsal space in their gym prior to finals in Dayton. They were desperate for a rehearsal space for finals and looking a full 2 hour and some change drive out from Dayton at that point. 

The paperwork was done but ultimately, they had to go somewhere else after a day there.  The gym at the church doesn't have a traditional hardwood floor but this sort of plasticized snapped together tiles thing.  It works fine for basketball but not so great with rifle drops.  Even with a protective surface down and tarps, they were finding cracked tiles when they pulled up the mats for the night.  I think I remember dad saying they had to replace 16 cracked tiles (each tile I think is 12" x 12" so there's a ton of them to make the floor).  I was like, they practiced for a whole day and only cracked 16 from drops? That's a good group.

They were entirely apologetic and gracious and covered the cost for the replacement tiles. It was easily done under coverage from the installer the next day and not a terribly high cost.   And it was sort of a disappointment because, other than the floor, the gym was about perfect for a WGI unit to use as it has two bathrooms with two shower heads in each as part of a set up for hosting a homeless shelter that travels from site to site very two weeks.  Also the full service kitchen is right there with plenty of tables and chairs that can set up.

The church has members and staff that are alum and/or have kids in Indiana's marching arts circuits so there was a fair bit of excitement and openness to it because it fell in a time slot where the gym wasn't being used for the basketball outreach league.   I think they had some interest from WGI percussions groups too but their schedules were smack in the middle of the basketball league time.  

But even there, you're looking at an outfit that is seeking housing 2+ hours out from the venue they'd need to travel to and from for competition runs.

If that's the 'pre-COVID' scene for even smaller more manageable groups, I totally get the difficulties of full corps finding sites.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

I'm going to stop.

Up until this point I have given you the benefit of the doubt that you may not have been exposed to the reality of social media or this forum.

I suspect you are someone who was banned previously who has come back to cause trouble. 

I got a similar vibe from their posting history. They just sort of showed up and jumped right in. I’m questioning whether they are indeed a female of marching age. Another red flag for me is their lack of critical thinking skills that drum corps teaches and/or looks for in potential members. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

That was a very funny episode!

It captures the true spirit of dealing with large groups such as HS band, sections, etc & pricing the most simplest things such as pizza, t-shirts, gifts, etc.  I love watching our student section leaders handle these issues for their section.  That's really why I love it! 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not saying a church, or parochial school, would willingly house a Drum Corps today as they did 40 years ago.  We can thank our hyper-litigious society for that.  I’m saying it’s dumb to not even consider asking because they’re not “secular”

As if there'd be forced Bible-study after sectionals or something.  

gotcha....thanks

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I got a similar vibe from their posting history. They just sort of showed up and jumped right in. I’m questioning whether they are indeed a female of marching age. Another red flag for me is their lack of critical thinking skills that drum corps teaches and/or looks for in potential members. 

From reading they joined to add on the Mandarins topic. That was a while back. The rest lacks facts and is conjecture. 

• Haha 1