2022 rule change I would like to see.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i feel bad for the age outs for last year and possibly this year....but somewhere the line has to be drawn. do we really want to get to be like World class guards in WGI with 30 year olds out there? Because with DCI, once they uncap the bottle, it just keeps getting opened again and again and again

30? man alot older than that....lol..I had a 40 year old in one of my guards which was a WC finalists....lol They had a great work ethic for sure...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

While I still think it’s too early to say there will not be a 2021 season, I do think it will be different from what we are used to and what works for this year will be temporary so looking to 2022 for rule changes is not too far fetched.

While I did see the wisdom for allowing 2020 age outs to march in 2021, if we don’t have a season, I don’t think we should raise the age limit. I’m also not sure why we should only offer the opportunity to march over the age of 21 to graduate students only. Graduate students are not allowed to play undergraduate athletics. They may be allowed on intramural teams, but that’s within a school. 

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

While I still think it’s too early to say there will not be a 2021 season, I do think it will be different from what we are used to and what works for this year will be temporary so looking to 2022 for rule changes is not too far fetched.

While I did see the wisdom for allowing 2020 age outs to march in 2021, if we don’t have a season, I don’t think we should raise the age limit. I’m also not sure why we should only offer the opportunity to march over the age of 21 to graduate students only. Graduate students are not allowed to play undergraduate athletics. They may be allowed on intramural teams, but that’s within a school. 

Not completely true, graduate students play in college basketball all the time. Grad transfers are very common. 

and often at schools like BYU and University of Utah, students take a hiatus and go on mission trips and then return and are playing college basketball or football at the age of 26. 

I do agree with your overall point though. 

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Not completely true, graduate students play in college basketball all the time. Grad transfers are very common. 

and often at schools like BYU and University of Utah, students take a hiatus and go on mission trips and then return and are playing college basketball or football at the age of 26. 

With limited exceptions, for something like a serious injury, students, including Graduate Transfers, are only allowed to compete for a total of 4 years.

Many Freshman take a "red shirt" year, which still allows 4 years of actual competition.

As far as BYU and Utah, I believe that they have to be doing a 2 year missionary  to maintain eligibility.

With probably a 2 year hiatus, there's something to be said for allowing a one-time extra year of eligibility to help provide corps with some continuity of traditions. Vets are a huge part of keeping corps traditions and stories and culture alive, leading by example. Without vets some of the things that makes Corps X be "Corps X" is lost. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i feel bad for the age outs for last year and possibly this year....but somewhere the line has to be drawn. do we really want to get to be like World class guards in WGI with 30 year olds out there? Because with DCI, once they uncap the bottle, it just keeps getting opened again and again and again

Agreed, I hate what's happening to current age outs, but I think we have to go back to original rules and cap at 21. 

I would also like to see the elimination of all props for a minimum of 2-3 years while corps get themselves back on their feet financially, and the limitation of electronics for the same period. All cost cutting measures to try and keep costs down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

Agreed, I hate what's happening to current age outs, but I think we have to go back to original rules and cap at 21. 

I would also like to see the elimination of all props for a minimum of 200-300 years while corps get themselves back on their feet financially, and the limitation of electronics for the same period. All cost cutting measures to try and keep costs down. 

Fixed it for you.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m a graduate student and I’m 57 years old.  Really looking forward to an extra year or two of DCI eligibility.  

Have a call into the Blue Devils regarding whether muskets are allowed in the rifle line.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I hope they agree #$#@ happens and it's time to grow up.  I know it's a crappy situation but at the end of the day it's just marching band and this is a pandemic.

"It's just marching band and that's life" doesn't seem like a very thoughtful reason to me. Is there better logic than this?

I instead think "what would it hurt?" Say you give those who would've aged out in 2020 and 2021 one year to march in 2022 - what would it hurt? 

"People who are 23 should have jobs" isn't a thoughtful reason either. Here's guessing there wouldn't be many 23-year-old takers in the first place. Maybe just a handful of 22-year-olds. What would be wrong with that? 

Why is 21 a magic number? Yes, I would like to see the activity remain youth orientated, but many marching members today continue in college till 23 or longer, especially if they are pusuing Music Education careers, or careers in the Performing Arts. At the very least, allow those members who had signed up for 2020 or 2021 to march their final years.