2022 rule change I would like to see.

5 hours ago, traverbanking said:

The 55-minimum is for new Open Class corps seeking evaluation, Currently-competing corps still have the 30-minimum.

That is not what the policy says.  In Appendix 216, under the heading "DCI Participation Levels - Responsibilities Guide", it states that for open class, one of their responsibilities is "number of performers 55 - 154".

On 11/26/2020 at 1:09 PM, Mello Dude said:

Either this stays an youth activity for young people or it becomes DCA.  You got to have rules.  

How youthful of a corps is the Blue Devils? That's an extreme case, just as the rampant existence of 16-year-olds and 23-year-olds, which I also don't think would realistically happen.

The maturity between a 16 year old and a 23 is just too much IMHO.  Seriously, someone could join the Marines, do their 4 years (go overseas and fight a war) and then march in this situation.  

If the maturity difference is that great, then what I'm hearing is that 16-year-olds could learn a lot from 23-year-olds. 

Either we install the value of life lessons and reality or we keep people from reality and growing up.  

This is indicative of many of the opinions on this site: I know what's best for young people. "They like music that I don't. They're on this TikTok and I don't understand it, so I don't like it. They need to grow up and be more like me." 

What on earth would be wrong if someone who missed out on their ageout season in 2020 works full-time until the 2022 season, then quits their job for three months and marches drum corps? Are they somehow less mature? 

Add "they need to grow up" to "life sucks bruh" to the list of non-arguments against allowing 2020 and 2021 ageouts to have one last season in 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

How youthful of a corps is the Blue Devils? That's an extreme case, just as the rampant existence of 16-year-olds and 23-year-olds, which I also don't think would realistically happen.

If the maturity difference is that great, then what I'm hearing is that 16-year-olds could learn a lot from 23-year-olds. 

This is indicative of many of the opinions on this site: I know what's best for young people. "They like music that I don't. They're on this TikTok and I don't understand it, so I don't like it. They need to grow up and be more like me." 

What on earth would be wrong if someone who missed out on their ageout season in 2020 works full-time until the 2022 season, then quits their job for three months and marches drum corps? Are they somehow less mature? 

Add "they need to grow up" to "life sucks bruh" to the list of non-arguments against allowing 2020 and 2021 ageouts to have one last season in 2022. 

There will be a season in 2022? 

1 hour ago, WilsonStaff said:

There will be a season in 2022? 

With the start of C19 vaccine's distribution in a month or so, there's a good chance by Aug./Sept. of 21, we should all have learned if the vaccine's are working.  Even if catching C19 has almost been eliminated, I'm thinking housing sites of old might come up with excuses why they don't want to open up their facilities again.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Phantom56 said:

Given that DCI will likely  announce the cancellation of 2021, let's start a conversation about some issues we would like DCI to implement for the 2022 season.   I would like to see the age limit raised to 23. Two reasons: It would allow those members who were denied the opportunity to march in 2020 and 2021 to march another season or two, if desired.   Secondly, raising the age to 23 would allow members who are in college getting Masters degrees or PhD's to continue spending their summers doing drum corp. I would suggest making it a requirement that only full time college students be offered this opportunity.  

I do feel for those that would have aged out to miss their last season(s).  However, as others have stated, this is a pandemic....life throws people curves, and they have to face things.  We wouldn't have a drum corps season if the continental US was under attack from a foreign invader....guess what....we are...the invader is simply invisible.   For those who still have the urge and means to march, but have aged out, they can march with a DCA corps.  I do think that those members who have paid corps most or all of their fees/costs...the corps should be mandated by DCI to refund these folks.  "Oh, well....that's just the way it is....we don't have it......we spent it", are not going to be acceptable answers,  and members could pursue legal action.   If they already spent the money, they should have to liquidate assets to pay their bills and these refunds.   I find your comment about "only full time college students be offered this opportunity" to be quite discriminatory.  Drum corps has already become a "rich kids sport", as many young people are simply priced out of the activity.  In this case, you could have a case where "rich mommy and daddy" are paying 50K+ per year for a member to go to college, also paying most or all of their corps fees, and you are blessing them with another year due to the covid cancelled season(s).....but you are not for the kid who graduated high school, could not afford to go to college, lives in his/her parents' basement, and worked very hard at a low/minimum job for 3 years to earn every penny needed to march....but you won't extend them..........really??    I think adding a "no props" rule and keeping it in place for awhile would be helpful.  It will encourage corps to be frugal, and help those that must be in order to survive, and put emphasis on performances.  One thing for certain.....the days of 2+ million dollar budgets are over....and corps management that puts the blinders on regarding this will find themselves bankrupt quite quckly......those who are already making plans to get by on 500 - 800 K   may have a shot at survival.  We will likely be in a depression when corps returns, and DCI would be wise to start planning for that now........an attempt to make it affordable to march, and affordable for fans to attend shows.  ....the current "country club" approach is not going to survive; that money simply will not be there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I usually see eye to eye with you on most stuff but I simply don't agree that people should be granted extra eligibility. Like someone else said, it basically opens up Pandora's box and will result in other younger people being at a disadvantage for joining a corps. 

Yes, it's a crappy circumstance, but it is what it is. There's things much bigger than drum corps.

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I usually see eye to eye with you on most stuff but I simply don't agree that people should be granted extra eligibility. Like someone else said, it basically opens up Pandora's box and will result in other younger people being at a disadvantage for joining a corps. 

I don't understand this "Pandora's box" argument. I think you believe that DCI will be fraught with 23-year-olds. 

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yes, it's a crappy circumstance, but it is what it is. There's things much bigger than drum corps.

Couldn't that argument be used in response to younger people trying out? "Well, it's a crappy circumstance that a 23-year-old 'took your spot.' There [are] things much bigger than drum corps." 

53 minutes ago, Ghost said:

With the start of C19 vaccine's distribution in a month or so, there's a good chance by Aug./Sept. of 21, we should all have learned if the vaccine's are working.  Even if catching C19 has almost been eliminated, I'm thinking housing sites of old might come up with excuses why they don't want to open up their facilities again.

Does not sound promising. No 2022 maybe 2023. 

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

1. I think you need to get out more and see the corps as they are.  Realistically, meaning reality, it would a lot over all the member corps.

2. Ya, what they could learn may be something other than what you may think.  Again, that's why we have DCA for adults.

3. Um, life is not a "non-argument".  Reality of pandemic realities vs marching band wants is NOT a non argument in fact I don't see any argument (and you have yet to present one) that would even come close to supporting what you desire.

I can't even imagine the amount of background checks and insurance these corps would need to carry to even consider this.

• Like 1