2022 rule change I would like to see.

5 hours ago, gregory11 said:

Delay the 55 membership rule at best to 2024 so corps could improve recruiting and still compete.  I'm really surprised no one is taking about this request.  A delay is needed for the smaller corps survival. 

I mentioned that awhile back, and no one could even muster an audible yawn.

DCI will have to change something, because the recently invoked standards will throw everyone out of world-class and leave us with 0 member corps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The NCAA is granting an additional year of eligibility so why can't DCI?  It wouldn't be a permanent raising of the age limit.

There's no reason not to.

The NCAA did grant an additional year of eligibility.

But,the number of scholarships and "slots" for teams remains the same.

In my opinion, if DCI wants to consider this,you have to put all potential corps members on equal footing.

No reserved slots for people from the canceled 2020 season.

Everyone has to earn their spot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Unfortunately, the electronics ship has already sailed.

The NCAA is granting an additional year of eligibility so why can't DCI?  It wouldn't be a permanent raising of the age limit.

There's no reason not to.

Electronics would be a good cost saving measure. Also would be healthy for the malleus, incus, stapes, and drum. 

NCAA and the DCI are similar in many ways. Maybe you are right and the eligibility should extend for a year. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hmmmm... picturing someone whose last year of eligibility is the first year DCI comes back. And they lose their spot to a 23 year old. And no chance to try following year because of age...  Ouch..... 

Yes..a bit of a conundrum.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gregory11 said:

Delay the 55 membership rule at best to 2024 so corps could improve recruiting and still compete.  I'm really surprised no one is taking about this request.  A delay is needed for the smaller corps survival. 

Besides the discussion of props and such that should be temporarily eliminated, what about open class going back to 128 mm for a couple of years?  Comparing the cost savings or lost income between 128 and 150 should be interesting.

Recruiting seems likely to be a challenge as young people are not being exposed to drum corps (or fully experiencing band) for 1-2 years, which is a long time relative to their experience in a critical point in their development.  No friends in corps, no live shows, no theater shows, limited band programs and performances, cancelled competitions.  

Extending the age-out age would help balance that out, and give more people a chance to discover and participate in the activity.  

On 11/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Phantom56 said:

Given that DCI will likely  announce the cancellation of 2021, let's start a conversation about some issues we would like DCI to implement for the 2022 season.   I would like to see the age limit raised to 23. Two reasons: It would allow those members who were denied the opportunity to march in 2020 and 2021 to march another season or two, if desired.   Secondly, raising the age to 23 would allow members who are in college getting Masters degrees or PhD's to continue spending their summers doing drum corp. I would suggest making it a requirement that only full time college students be offered this opportunity.  

When I was in grad school there was absolutely no way I would have had time to march.

My (probably controversial) opinion is to keep the age rules as they currently are.  If no 2021 season (which I suspect your are correct in it not happening), I recommend going back to the age rules in place at end of 2019 season.  Yes, there will be some that miss out on their 'age out season'.  Life isn't fair.  Covid isn't fair. At some point you need to grow up. If you are that determined to march at age 22 or 23, go to DCA.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2020 at 8:29 AM, Cappybara said:

Not completely true, graduate students play in college basketball all the time. Grad transfers are very common. 

and often at schools like BYU and University of Utah, students take a hiatus and go on mission trips and then return and are playing college basketball or football at the age of 26. 

Yes, there are some grad students in athletic programs (basketball for example).  But they are on the school basketball team, not galavanting all over the country in the NBA.