That was a gutsy move!

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

There were lots of gutsy moves that year.

In addition to Boston and Gerry Shellmer upending the percussion caption, thereby laying the groundwork  for what would become "the pit", the Sunrisers introduced DCA to its first all-female color guard. Imagine the initial reaction from the beer-belly crowd. But these chicks were no shrinking violets. You messed with them at your peril.

Meanwhile, over in "Joisey", Garfield had added young women to its guard, captained by Dee Kolbuz and Judy Tomko (now Ulchinsky). It took some serious diplomacy to settle the rebellion amongst the alumni, and we know how ornery they can be. There was even a dust-up over the choice for their new instructor, who, to all outward appearances, looked like a long-haired Hippie freak character off the set of Easy Rider. Some modicum of calm was restored when it was pointed out he was Santa Clara's drill instructor, Pete Emmons, then studying acting in NYC.

It took until '74 for the maroon and gold to be worn by a young Black Cadet (now HE showed some intestinal fortitude, I think), and another couple of years before Gail DeAngelis broke through the brass ceiling as the first female in that horn line.

Gutsy? Oh, yeah.

You tell the best stories.  I enjoy them.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Bridgemen 1976 was a gutsy move to go from traditional uni's to their hip banana coats and wide brim hats. Also the style of show was so very different than any one ever saw.

Definitely agree on the Bridgemen!  I remember the sound of their bodies hitting the ground as they "fainted" (76?).  It was oddly hilarious.  One of the best crops, along with 2-7, to never win DCI.  They would have had their guard been better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrassTeacher said:

Suncoast Sound 1984

good choice

Speaking of '88

'88 Velvet Knights treatment of Malaguena. Whatever they were smoking in the staff design meeting probably wasn't legal yet. The whole production that year was pure entertainment but that Malaguena bit stole the show, and definitely took some guts.

Gutsy move in the opposite direction....

Phantom spending a good portion of 2009 rewriting their drill.  

I remember their early season performance before the rewrite started and think that had they kept most of the original drill they would have placed higher than 9th. 

Then again, if 2009 hadn't been the challenge it was I don't think they would have come out with something as good as 2010 and it's entrance from the tunnel opener. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Gutsy move in the opposite direction....

Phantom spending a good portion of 2009 rewriting their drill.  

I remember their early season performance before the rewrite started and think that had they kept most of the original drill they would have placed higher than 9th. 

Then again, if 2009 hadn't been the challenge it was I don't think they would have come out with something as good as 2010 and it's entrance from the tunnel opener. 

Madison 76 changed the second half of the show before second tour