Favorite 1970's - 1980's NON DCI Top 12 Corps!

So many to choose from. For me I like the Squires (Watkins Glen).

I liked all of them

St Ritas Brassmen

CMCC Warriors

St Josephs of Batavia

Racine Scouts

SAM

St. Joe's wasn't involved in DCI as the folded after the 1971 season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some Non-Finalist Favorites in no particular order!

1970s & 1980s Boston Crusaders (it is stunning to think they did not make finals until 1999!)

New Jersey Saints 1977 - not like they were going to make finals but it is a spirited and enjoyable performance( I was surprised to see that the 1977 UOEC Championships audio is not on YouTube)

Avante Garde NY - some quality entertaining performances in late 70s early 80s

1980 Long Island Kingsmen - So I never actually saw this group but heard from many of my drum corps friends that they were a strong up and coming corps.  I went on YouTube and there is a 7 second clip !!??  Not much to go on, but I will throw them on here by reputation.

Memphis Blues Brass Band - a group that had a lot of potential and played some great music!

Royal Brigade - another group from the East Coast that had some strong performances.

Offensive Lions - a great Canadian corps that had their own flair with show design. Check out their 1978 opener of American Overture.

Ventures & Les Chatelaines - If you ever thought girls were not as tough as boys then you clearly never saw these All-Girl groups. I remember walking through the parking lot after a show and hearing the gnashing of teeth and expletives of some top 20 corps that lost to them in brass.   Impressive!

Mighty Liberators - I saw this group at the 1977 US Open Class A prelims and I know it may not have been the most polished performance, but those performers cranked out as much energy as some top 12 corps.  They definitely left it all on the field and I remember the early afternoon crowd going crazy.  

Academie Muscale - some eye opening impressive moments in brass playing with this group.  I remember hearing them play John Williams Olympic Fanfare and my jaw dropping when they hit the double tongue section.

Cool stuff!

19 hours ago, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

All GREAT choices!!!!

Some Non-Finalist Favorites in no particular order!

1970s & 1980s Boston Crusaders (it is stunning to think they did not make finals until 1999!)

New Jersey Saints 1977 - not like they were going to make finals but it is a spirited and enjoyable performance( I was surprised to see that the 1977 UOEC Championships audio is not on YouTube)

Avante Garde NY - some quality entertaining performances in late 70s early 80s

1980 Long Island Kingsmen - So I never actually saw this group but heard from many of my drum corps friends that they were a strong up and coming corps.  I went on YouTube and there is a 7 second clip !!??  Not much to go on, but I will throw them on here by reputation.

Memphis Blues Brass Band - a group that had a lot of potential and played some great music!

Royal Brigade - another group from the East Coast that had some strong performances.

Offensive Lions - a great Canadian corps that had their own flair with show design. Check out their 1978 opener of American Overture.

Ventures & Les Chatelaines - If you ever thought girls were not as tough as boys then you clearly never saw these All-Girl groups. I remember walking through the parking lot after a show and hearing the gnashing of teeth and expletives of some top 20 corps that lost to them in brass.   Impressive!

Mighty Liberators - I saw this group at the 1977 US Open Class A prelims and I know it may not have been the most polished performance, but those performers cranked out as much energy as some top 12 corps.  They definitely left it all on the field and I remember the early afternoon crowd going crazy.  

Academie Muscale - some eye opening impressive moments in brass playing with this group.  I remember hearing them play John Williams Olympic Fanfare and my jaw dropping when they hit the double tongue section.

Cool stuff!

Like to add.....

Charioteers...although small, they held their own back in the early DCI days.

Precisionaires.... OSAGE!!!

Geneseo Knights

Pembroke Imperials

St. Francis Sancians

Beverly Cardinals

Polish Falcon Cadets

Blue Rock

Toronto Optimists....Yes Seneca made top 12 but I'm talking the original

Marquis

Argonauts

Greece Cadets

• 2 weeks later...