2021 latest news

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh not finding fault with that. Just like the Box5 plan for DCA when you can pick and choose what you want. Of course picking just one thing is priced high enough that you might as well buy everything 😆

They also charge KMEA almost the same price as they do for DCA...but I won't highjack this thread for that conversation.

4 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

teachers group 1? lol

surely not the ones that have argued the last 6 months they can do their jobs just as effectively from home...

Not the teacher I’m related to. Biggest problem is kids are even more distracted at home than at school. Part is idiot parents who think of kid is in one room doing online school, they can be in another part yelling back and forth. (Every kid has an open mic so they can talk to the teacher)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not the teacher I’m related to. Biggest problem is kids are even more distracted at home than at school. Part is idiot parents who think of kid is in one room doing online school, they can be in another part yelling back and forth. (Every kid has an open mic so they can talk to the teacher)

I've been teaching at a college for 35 years, and if you count drum corps instruction, my experience goes back to the Johnson Administration. (Not Andrew, but Lyndon)

For the past 9 months, all my interaction with students has been online. Neither my students nor I signed up for this, and not to put too fine a point on it, it flat-out stinks.

In-person instruction is vital and must be resumed as soon as possible, especially for earlier grades. (The older ones can much more easily adjust to a virtual environment, limited though it may be.)

Teachers must be immunized early on for this to happen safely.

On a personal note, I am one of the Phase 2 "lucky" ones, being over 65, albeit free from a compromised immune system, so far. Child care workers and K-8 teachers should come before me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I sometimes watch 1st grade grandson; daughter has it set up so he can learn without distraction, but when some of his classmates un-mute zoom to answer questions it sounds like they are in middle of WW3.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I've been teaching at a college for 35 years, and if you count drum corps instruction, my experience goes back to the Johnson Administration. (Not Andrew, but Lyndon)

For the past 9 months, all my interaction with students has been online. Neither my students nor I signed up for this, and not to put too fine a point on it, it flat-out stinks.

In-person instruction is vital and must be resumed as soon as possible, especially for earlier grades. (The older ones can much more easily adjust to a virtual environment, limited though it may be.)

On a personal note, I am one of the Phase 2 "lucky" ones, being over 65, albeit free from a compromised immune system, so far. Child care workers and K-8 teachers should come before me.

Glad you clarified which Johnson (kidding as we’ve met in the past). Agree teachers and other school workers need to be in the first phase. The unspoken fear is how this will hurt students in their later education. Sis in law also taught reading recovery program which looked for reading issues early before they hurt a student. So she knows how issues in very low grades can hurt later on. No idea how that and other learning issue programs are affected by this. 

And I’ll say it... she is not in a very affluent or *cough* highly educated area. So any education being hurt is not being picked up by the parents. 

21 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I too am over 65, and I have taught in one form or other since Nixon's first term, right up to my subbing in our current district, ending 3/13/2020 when they closed for COVID reasons. I do have some level of medical issues to worry about, so I have not restarted subbing right now. The district has been doing a blended schedule, but some individual schools have gone in and out of all-remote when there are cases found with students and/or staff. 

I agree on lower grades hurting with all remote. K-8, especially elementary grades K-4, are really taking a hit without in-person instruction. I can't even imagine how a kindergarten or first/second grade student is able to do a lot at home with virtual learning. I have subbed at those levels, and it is a LOT of work keeping the kids involved and learning.

Even at the HS level it is important. Sometimes kids just give up and don't bother doing their assignments. There was an article in today's Star Ledger newspaper talking about kids tuning out and not even submitting partial work, receiving the zero instead of a partial credit grade.

It is very sad, for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I sometimes watch 1st grade grandson; daughter has it set up so he can learn without distraction, but when some of his classmates un-mute zoom to answer questions it sounds like they are in middle of WW3.

Was thinking of that so I asked. Supposedly all the (1st grade also) students have mute off so that’s one less worry if they have a question. But yeah background noise and once in a while “DID YOU LEAVE THE DOG IN?” from somewhere in someones house.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Also should add district was doing in school sessions until person(s?) connected to the school contracted Covid. No details if student or staff.

During the spring PA had a peak of 2000+ a day. Last week we put a one in front of that (12,000+). So people concerned about their and their kids health are more than a little spooked.

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was thinking of that so I asked. Supposedly all the (1st grade also) students have mute off so that’s one less worry if they have a question. But yeah background noise and once in a while “DID YOU LEAVE THE DOG IN?” from somewhere in someones house.

In a prior job I used to travel through the US and Canada training clients on our software package.  I loved it so much.  Never a dull moment and I met a lot of very interesting people. 

It's almost all CBT now (Computer Based Training) and it's been that way for a long time.  It's just not the same.  You lose control of a lot of things you would normally be able to deal with in an in-person group setting and this was training adults.  

I can't imagine the challenges teachers are going through with Zoom training with children.

• Like 1

I am 60, been teaching for 21 years. I am not depressed but seem to be stressed! I can't do a concert so I have to video a concert. The kids are not learning as quickly, we can't do a live Music Performance Assessment. So we just learn sight reading, some theory and sing as much as possible. It's not going to school anymore....it's going to work! Teaching face to face and also distance learning. It sucks! I hate it!!! Nothing I can do but my best!!!

• Like 1