2021 latest news

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

indeed. and subs are in a shortage situation

For sure. A lot of them are like me...older folks retired from their primary career. It was tough prior to the pandemic to get subs. Now it is far worse. I know I have not gone back this school year. Hopefully once vaccinated I can. Sub pay is very low, basically baby-sitting rates I don't do it for the money, but rather to stay active. 

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

"...non working teachers can eat and stay on zoom."

Permit me to help decode something here. I must assume this comment is meant in all sincerity, but I would point out that teachers are not on vacation, eating bon-bons and watching The Simpsons.

Virtually all of them are continuing to do their jobs, remotely, with almost no administrative support. The vast majority of these people had to improvise like mad over the past several months to meet state-mandated specifications in the education code while inventing new ways to deliver curriculum as effectively as possible.

Their work loads have increased exponentially. While they are fortunate to still have jobs, to describe them as "non working" is to be tragically misinformed.

So V !ERY true!!!!

I do 2 jobs at once now. When I was home teaching from March to May, I taught theory and history because we didn't have the technology to do Virtual Choir which takes a lot more time to put together besides class time

18 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I am 60, been teaching for 21 years. I am not depressed but seem to be stressed! I can't do a concert so I have to video a concert. The kids are not learning as quickly, we can't do a live Music Performance Assessment. So we just learn sight reading, some theory and sing as much as possible. It's not going to school anymore....it's going to work! Teaching face to face and also distance learning. It sucks! I hate it!!! Nothing I can do but my best!!!

I'm in the same boat -try teaching a 'how to use a microscope' lab over Zoom when the students don't even have a microscope in front of them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Teachers are scared to go into work. Are the other workers who show up to work everyday not scared? The other workers find a way to go into work everyday. No reason to say bad words. The schools can be set up the same as grocery store with the barriers and sanitation protocols. 

Dr. Fauci and many others say schools should be open. Follow Science. Covid vaccine started today in the United Kingdom. Wonderful news. 

Some Drum Corps are planning a season which is wonderful news. Spring and Summer are just around the corner. I hope all the corps are taking care of their corps and doing what is best for them. Those who can't get out this upcoming year and those who can. 

Bad words? You mean like teachers are non-workers? Now go ahead and put a laughing face as a response as an example of a mature conversation. Your lack of self awareness in what you post is amazing.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bad words? You mean like teachers are non-workers? Now go ahead and put a laughing face as a response as an example of a mature conversation. Your lack of self awareness in what you post is amazing.

Have to remember you are talking to a child with a child's mind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Have to remember you are talking to a child with a child's mind. 

I joined an all age corps at 16. One of the best #### things that ever happened to me as got to be around people outside of my own little age group. Really opened my eyes... and my mind....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

"...non working teachers can eat and stay on zoom."

Permit me to help decode something here. I must assume this comment is meant in all sincerity, but I would point out that teachers are not on vacation, eating bon-bons and watching The Simpsons.

Virtually all of them are continuing to do their jobs, remotely, with almost no administrative support. The vast majority of these people had to improvise like mad over the past several months to meet state-mandated specifications in the education code while inventing new ways to deliver curriculum as effectively as possible.

Their work loads have increased exponentially. While they are fortunate to still have jobs, to describe them as "non working" is to be tragically misinformed.

yes and they are working far more than their contracted hours

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I joined an all age corps at 16. One of the best #### things that ever happened to me as got to be around people outside of my own little age group. Really opened my eyes... and my mind....

I had a student that was 14 make a top 6 corps. First thing I did was sit him down and explain things were going to be very different. Hopefully this kid has someone to help them with the same. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

yes and they are working far more than their contracted hours

Not to mention being forced to attend athletic games...

10 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Teachers can't teach but grocery stores, amazon warehouse, truck drivers, constructions workers have to work so all the non working teachers can eat and stay on zoom. So those workers who have to actually work are not able to monitor their kids to ensure they are on zoom. Failures are up as much as 40%. 

I have a friend who struggled pre covid-19 with depression. The schools being closed only caused more harm to her. She is still having more issues and who knows what the long term issues could there be. 

A few days ago the washington post had a article about schools. Here is a point quoted from that article. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/students-have-already-lost-too-much-time-they-need-to-be-back-in-classrooms/2020/12/04/44495cf8-350a-11eb-8d38-6aea1adb3839_story.html

"Parents of means can give their children the help and resources they need or switch them to a private school; parents of minority or disadvantaged students with the most to lose have the least clout."

teachers are teaching, just not in the traditional ways. in the history of tone deaf comments you have posted here, this may rank among the worst

• Thanks 4