2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

16 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

What is confusing is what people are saying what a "season" is. The only proposed event in the one DCI put out in August. To me one event does not constitute a season of performances. 

At this point neither DCI nor the corps know what might even be possible in August. IMO what DCI released sounds good to them but they should have TBD (to be determined) all over their plans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

What is confusing is what people are saying what a "season" is. The only proposed event in the one DCI put out in August. To me one event does not constitute a season of performances. 

The Boston Crusaders announcement has items in it that look like a potential season. They seem to be planning “performances” rather than competitive shows, or at least that’s my interpretation. You may see some joint performances with Cadets, very likely given the close proximity of the two corps and Cadets still having a huge fan base in the Boston area, and perhaps Bloo and depending on what the folks in Fort Mill decide, Crown. 

For the corps that do participate this year, this season is not as much about competition as keeping the activity alive. If I don’t get to Indy this year, and performance, whatever it is, as long as it is safe will be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The Boston Crusaders announcement has items in it that look like a potential season. They seem to be planning “performances” rather than competitive shows, or at least that’s my interpretation. You may see some joint performances with Cadets, very likely given the close proximity of the two corps and Cadets still having a huge fan base in the Boston area, and perhaps Bloo and depending on what the folks in Fort Mill decide, Crown. 

For the corps that do participate this year, this season is not as much about competition as keeping the activity alive. If I don’t get to Indy this year, and performance, whatever it is, as long as it is safe will be appreciated.

Yeah but I see these statements from corps say great things about an amazing experience  ....I find that troubling and misleading.

34 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah but I see these statements from corps say great things about an amazing experience  ....I find that troubling and misleading.

Young people who have had their high school and college years disrupted by Covid-19 with schools closing, remote learning, cancellation of graduation, music activities, sports, etc., have no illusions that 2021 will be a normal drum corps season. I think the same holds true for fans. None of the announcements I have read are promising competitive opportunities or national tours. They are promising a once in a lifetime opportunity and if this “bridge season” keeps the activity going, we’ll be singing their praises and calling them heroes, so long as it is safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

This is pretty much my impression, Tim.  I’m not expecting a weeks-long series of field competitions leading to Indy.  What I am expecting are modified performances wherever possible. It’s the continuation of the “production company” and its “ensembles” that matters most.

More fans need to see Drum Corps International Championship Days as a CONVENTION. That is, new dollars brought into a city by visitors who would not otherwise be in town. In many ways, same as a big trade show, Shriner’s Convention, etc.  Even an event at Lucas Oil Stadium and other places around the city that keeps visitors around and spending for 2-3 days is of great value.  

if DCI can get 10-15 corps (any Division) together in Indy.  A 2-night showcase can be held with the same performers and separate ticketing. Something like this would permit souvenir revenue, audio/video product, and pay-per-view revenue.

Certainly, nothing can be “set in stone” at this point. But it is time to establish a goal and make some announcements.

Edited by Fred Windish

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

This is pretty much my impression, Tim.  I’m not expecting a weeks-long series of field competitions leading to Indy.  What I am expecting are modified performances wherever possible. It’s the continuation of the “production company” and its “ensembles” that matters most.

More fans need to see Drum Corps International Championship Days as a CONVENTION. That is, new dollars brought into a city by visitors who would not otherwise be in town. In many ways, same as a big trade show, Shriner’s Convention, etc.  Even an event at Lucas Oil Stadium and other places around the city that keeps visitors around and spending for 2-3 days is of great value.  

if DCI can get 10-15 corps (any Division) together in Indy.  A 2-night showcase can be held with the same performers and separate ticketing. Something like this would permit souvenir revenue, audio/video product, and pay-per-view revenue.

Certainly, nothing can be “set in stone” at this point. But it is time to establish a goal and make some announcements.

If it's like a Shriner's Convention, they'd better bring in more of the 'hard' drinks.  Making reservations now...  :guinesssmilie:  :spitting:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

And you will be there to support the corp...in person? 

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

If it's like a Shriner's Convention, they'd better bring in more of the 'hard' drinks.  Making reservations now...  :guinesssmilie:  :spitting:

Never saw the vid.... irony is local Shriners had a drum corps for a few decades....

• Like 1