2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

I'm with you on that. My own best guess is that DCI may try and put on a "Celebration of Drum Corps" kind of event, more like a festival than a competition. There will be large variation in how the various organizations are able to prepare, so a true competition may be out of the question. We'll see.

Just a guess with nothing behind it other than gut feel.  😀

If your thoughts came to fruition, maybe a corps would really go outside the standard DCI box.  Unlimited mm, equipment, performers in the stands, etc.

• Like 1

I will be participating this coming summer. I'm excited and happy. These corps pushing forward is a win against the people who looked to find obstacles and to poo poo any thought of trying to do a season. Going to be fun to perform in 2021.

Edited by O'Neal's
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

I will be participating this coming summer. I'm excited and happy. These corps pushing forward is a win against the people who looked to find obstacles and to poo poo any thought of trying to do a season. Going to be fun to perform in 2021.

Ok

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I still don’t understand why an event that could possibly field close to 20 corps would not be scored. The same sheets could be used, but the champion might score a 94.5 instead of a 98.1. As far as spectators, most can’t tell the difference anyway. How many can really tell if the snare line ticked? If finals judges need to see a corps show prior, the corps can submit virtually and video it from every angle, even from the air. If a corps doesn’t want to be judged then they can do an exhibition section to the event.

because not all of the corps will be there. who knows what the guidelines will be as to what corps can actually do as well

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

you have a very nice drum corps. probably a really nice bill to cover the guidelines too

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

because not all of the corps will be there. who knows what the guidelines will be as to what corps can actually do as well

I’ll take the not knowing guidelines part. But you don’t need all the corps there to have a winner. BD and SCV aren’t the only corps in DCI.

6 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Exactly - let's be safe, be positive & perform!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

It possible let us know how things work out in the coming months. Interested in how corps deal with the many unknowns as they arise.

Meanwhile have a friend whose mom is in the memory wing of a local home. She was told mom should be near the front of the line when vaccines arrived. No idea at this point when that might be.

17 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I still don’t understand why an event that could possibly field close to 20 corps would not be scored. 

Because some of the most powerful member corps will not be there.  Staging a DCI championship in 2021 would change the balance of revenue sharing based on competitive ranking.

Follow the money.

Regarding the issue of scoring the DCI event in August: I don't really care if it's scored or not...just seeing drum corps this year, in any context, would bolster my feelings that perhaps 2022 will be outrageously cool..After all the covid/political machinations of this year, the promise of returning to NORMAL at some point would be more than I could have expected ..So, if there's a show or shows, I'll be there, God willing..peace

• Like 3