2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

On 12/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, Ghost said:

I'm still amazed how these vaccines were created so fast.  Makes one wonder why other medicines over the years have taken much longer.  Medicine that may have saved thousands of lives.

Much necessary testing and research previously done on earlier SARS virus was able to be applied to this virus, saving lots of time.  Coupled with government relaxation of time consuming testing protocols,  this sped up to “warp speed”.

12 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Dr. Please don't be a party poo poo er. 

Agree let’s just see what is possible in the coming months. Actually think it’s interesting to see what might be done with all the obstacles. Sounds like my 1974 and 1984 seasons when we tried to get a show on the field after being inactive. Just set your mind on an achievable goal and go for it

On 12/15/2020 at 1:05 AM, phd-student-TTU said:

Still, don’t bet on this year happening. It’s not safe yet. 

My wife is a "front line" visiting nurse.

No indication yet when she will be in line to be able to get 

the vaccine.

In N.J. at least, after health care workers, come Long Term Care patients and staff.

Then first responders.

According the local news a vaccine won't be available to the  "general public" until at least late Spring.

I presume "young people" will be last on the list.

According to the news this morning, Phizer is already having "supply chain" issues. 

Until there  is a more specific time frame for the vaccine being available, how can a corps plan anything, including housing.

I would also like to know, from anyone involved, have corps even attempted to find insurance for 2021 ?

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 12:28 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Not so off topic: first vaccines are rolling out. Have friend whose mom is at a nursing home so in first phase of vaccinations. Will be interesting how soon/long it takes for her to get the vaccine. 
IMO number/percentage of people who receive the vaccine in the next few months will determine what corps will be able to do

I’ll be receiving the vaccine next month as I fall into the second tier of healthcare workers (not necessarily working with covid patients but I am working with patients on the daily and doing a lot of aerosolized procedures)

Will be interesting to see the rate of distribution

On 12/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, Continental said:

Seeing reports about the need to still wear masks for a while after getting the vaccine.  There is concern that the virus can still be carried by those that have been vaccinated.

It has as yet to be verified. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

I think it’s common sense that we will need to maintain the same precautions even after receiving the vaccine. Herd immunity takes a while to kick in. I also anticipate certain precautions that we have taken due to COVID will eventually become permanent fixtures in society, similar to the dramatic changes 9/11 caused in our country. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 8:13 PM, LabMaster said:

Much necessary testing and research previously done on earlier SARS virus was able to be applied to this virus, saving lots of time.  Coupled with government relaxation of time consuming testing protocols,  this sped up to “warp speed”.

Wasn’t one of these vaccines produced in a foreign country where the changes in protocol made in the USA had no influence on the speed with which it was created?

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’ll be receiving the vaccine next month as I fall into the second tier of healthcare workers (not necessarily working with covid patients but I am working with patients on the daily and doing a lot of aerosolized procedures)

Will be interesting to see the rate of distribution

Please let us know when you get yours. Will be seeing my friend tomorrow for a (distanced) lunch and can check if anything new. Also found out in law of an in law 🤪 just went in a local nursing home and can ask about their schedule. This lady is a spry 95 and can remember Pearl Harbor attack very well. Her dad was stationed there and she didn’t hear ABOUT it... she HEARD it..

Edited by JimF-LowBari