2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

I’m hearing rumors that there are more than a handful of corps that are weighing options at this point, including some of the big guns. Also hearing this is going to be more of a free for all, no judging, standstill style show with everything but the kitchen sink. If this is the case I will pass and wait for 2022. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I’m hearing rumors that there are more than a handful of corps that are weighing options at this point, including some of the big guns. Also hearing this is going to be more of a free for all, no judging, standstill style show with everything but the kitchen sink. If this is the case I will pass and wait for 2022. 

For that type of show, why travel?  Why not just have every corps make a quality video of a local performance?  Then DCI compiles them into a “show” and streams it, keeping interest alive, recouping some money, etc.

Each show might be attended if the corps so chooses, at a good size stadium where people can stay distant, and where (if they march) you can get a good high cam.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

For that type of show, why travel?  Why not just have every corps make a quality video of a local performance?  Then DCI compiles them into a “show” and streams it, keeping interest alive, recouping some money, etc.

Each show might be attended if the corps so chooses, at a good size stadium where people can stay distant, and where (if they march) you can get a good high cam.  

I was thinking webcast whatever each corps does but like this too. Corps can do a variety of things instead of one type of show. If copyrights work out then DCI and/or the individual corps can sell CDs or DVDs. Save that bleeping travel expense

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking webcast whatever each corps does but like this too. Corps can do a variety of things instead of one type of show. If copyrights work out then DCI and/or the individual corps can sell CDs or DVDs. Save that bleeping travel expense

This actually may work.  

And if 2 or more Corps who's spring training sites are near each other want to perform/record at same location, all the better.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
for
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Which is why a few corps decided to not engage in the futility of delusional people. 

now don't use logic, this is drum corps

• Like 3

There was a story on the news this morning and in our local paper,about the head of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease and Policy,who was also a Biden Covid 19 transition advisor (Micheal  Osterholm).

He predicts that,because of variants,there could be another surge in cases.

He predicts the next 14 weeks may be the worst yet.

Whether that's true or not,that type of prediction may have corps thinking twice about going forward for 2021.

21 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

There was a story on the news this morning and in our local paper,about the head of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease and Policy,who was also a Biden Covid 19 transition advisor (Micheal  Osterholm).

Whether that's true or not,that type of prediction may have corps thinking twice about going forward for 2021.

Somewhat relevant, somewhat off-topic so mods - delete if need be to keep the thread open.

The problem is that no one has defined what it will look like when the pandemic is 'over'.

The Powers that Be in CDC & NIH need to define what the end of the pandemic looks like. It was an F-up not to do this from the beginning. I am not talking a time frame, but some combination of % of population vaccinated & # of cases/day. It won’t be 100% vaccinated & 0 cases/day - that would require a massive worldwide effort like was done for smallpox & that took decades. If we don’t define where the goalposts are they will keep moving.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

There has also been new strands reported in the USA. With no data available yet about its mutations, effectiveness etc.