2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

The goalposts you reference, IllianaLancerContra, are not able to be standardized to a national model.  From the beginning, the responsibility for dealing with this health crisis was primarily on each individual state administration. Why?  Because those are the administrative decision-makers closest to each set of unique variables.

Some states managed to handle this responsibility better than others. Such states, like South Dakota in example, are essentially in total control of the illness. My state, Pennsylvania, has done a poor job in many ways.

In my opinion, many of these nationwide federal edicts and restrictions are out-of-balance. There can be no “one size fits all.”  Not even when determining if it is appropriate for any corps to perform publicly this summer.

Again, there will be benefits derived through whatever kind of weekend DCI manages to put together next August. Key benefits, too!

Edited by Fred Windish

28 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

The goalposts you reference, IllianaLancerContra, are not able to be standardized to a national model.  From the beginning, the responsibility for dealing with this health crisis was primarily on each individual state administration. Why?  Because those are the administrative decision-makers closest to each set of unique variables.

Some states managed to handle this responsibility better than others. Such states, like South Dakota in example, are essentially in total control of the illness. My state, Pennsylvania, has done a poor job in many ways.

In my opinion, many of these nationwide federal edicts and restrictions are out-of-balance. There can be no “one size fits all.”  Not even when determining if it is appropriate for any corps to perform publicly this summer.

Again, there will be benefits derived through whatever kind of weekend DCI manages to put together next August. Key benefits, too!

I agree that states (1) need to make their own decisions, & (2) some have done better than others.  I also think it would have been useful at the beginning, perhaps with some federal coordination,  to to define the desired end state (this is something I learned in military - before you go to war, define the goal you are trying to achieve).  This requires message discipline, & that was not a strength of the previous administration.  But that is now moot.

Concerning the 'Summer 2021 DCI Event' - yes, there may well be benefits.  As I have said before, success is like a 3 legged stool.  One leg is desire, 2nd is financials, and 3rd is logistics.  All 3 legs need to be there for the stool to stand.  Financial & logistics are unknown at this time.  Desire is there, but how much $ will the Corps need to charge the members to participate in this summer's events, & how many potential members are willing to pony up this amount to do a 3-day Indy thing?

I hope the Corps are looking at this realistically & don't squander the future of Drum Corps just for a 3-day event in 2021.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Can’t argue with how bad PA is doing. But want to point out SD has second highest rate of Covid cases per capita (ND is first). 

Agree that states and counties need to be the ones to set policy as areas are hit differently. But do need federal input over distribution instead of states fighting each other over resources. Had some of that with medical equipment and PPE over Spring and not good.

To relate it to the thread. Big problem I see is transportation. States set their own travel and quarantine rules as they should. If IL or states nearby tighten rules on travel from out of state could mess up the DCI event. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To relate it to the thread. Big problem I see is transportation. States set their own travel and quarantine rules as they should. If IL or states nearby tighten rules on travel from out of state could mess up the DCI event. 

I also think housing and insurance are potential problems.

I would hope that things like transportation,housing and insurance were discussed at length during DCI's Winter Meeting.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

Just now, rpbobcat said:

I also think housing and insurance are also potential problems.

I would hope that things like transportation,housing and insurance were discussed at length during DCI's Winter Meeting.

I would hope they discussed this & everything else that they could think of that could impact the 2020 event.  And I really hope the Corps representatives at the meeting were the people that understand the business/financials of Drum Corps & not just the people on the design/creative side.   Without solid business foundation there is nothing for the creatives to build on. 

• Like 1

Some folks on here are really negative about a season actually happening.  I suppose much of that may have to do with where you live.  Here in Maine, we have had only 636 deaths since the beginning.  No deaths at all yesterday in fact.  In a state of 1.4 milliion people where a mask mandate has been in force since last fall, it would seem like we are doing ok.  The same for Vermont, which is where BAC announced they have already contracted with Castleton University to return for Spring Training in late May. I also think many members (not just Boston) are jumping at the chance to march this year even with alot fewer shows.  As spectators, we sometimes think the shows and placements are everything.  But some current BAC members I am in touch with keep telling me that they are dying to meet up with their friends and drum, play, spin and march.  It increasingly sounds like the number abd scope of shows is secondary to them.

15 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I also think housing and insurance are potential problems.

Yep that too. I have travel between the states in mind as sisters in laws are out of state. Over the holidays they had to budget their time as if they were out of their home state past 24 hours they would have had to self quarantine or get tested. And that was a neighboring state and not multiple states like some corps would do.

19 minutes ago, craiga said:

Some folks on here are really negative about a season actually happening.  I suppose much of that may have to do with where you live.  Here in Maine, we have had only 636 deaths since the beginning.  No deaths at all yesterday in fact.  In a state of 1.4 milliion people where a mask mandate has been in force since last fall, it would seem like we are doing ok.  The same for Vermont, which is where BAC announced they have already contracted with Castleton University to return for Spring Training in late May. I also think many members (not just Boston) are jumping at the chance to march this year even with alot fewer shows.  As spectators, we sometimes think the shows and placements are everything.  But some current BAC members I am in touch with keep telling me that they are dying to meet up with their friends and drum, play, spin and march.  It increasingly sounds like the number abd scope of shows is secondary to them.

I'm really disappointed with people using the term "negative" regarding opinions based on everything that has happened during this pandemic.    How about this, turn off the human condition regarding illness and death and then we might not be so "negative."  

I guarantee you that there are more people on this forum affected by what is/has been going on than are indicating so.  Will the half-million mark of deaths in the US as a result of this convince others?

Oh my, I'm being negative. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, craiga said:

Maybe DCI should dump Indy & move it to Maine.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Can’t argue with how bad PA is doing. But want to point out SD has second highest rate of Covid cases per capita (ND is first). 

Agree that states and counties need to be the ones to set policy as areas are hit differently. But do need federal input over distribution instead of states fighting each other over resources. Had some of that with medical equipment and PPE over Spring and not good.

Illinois has has 1.17 million documented cases of Covid.  I’m sure there are people who had mild cases or were asymptomatic who never saw a doctor that would add to the tally.  They’ve administered almost 2 million doses of vaccine with 2 million more available to be used.  And this state is 47th in vaccinations administered. 13 million people live in Illinois.  We have to be making some progress just by the numbers.  You’re never going to get everyone to take the vaccine.  That’s just not going to happen.