2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

Regarding events in New England, the only stadium that could hold a major DCI event is Gillette in Foxboro, MA and possibly Boston College. The four Ivy League Stadiums, Brown in RI, Yale in CT,  Dartmouth in NH, and Harvard in MA could host moderate sized events. I’m not sure of seating capacity at Holy Cross and BU.The University of Maine in Orono looks like it has a good sized stadium from the outside but I don’t know seating capacity which I’m sure is probably between 7,500 and 10,000. 

Now if you want Maine or Vermont for drum corps events, Maine has some of the strictest Covid protocols in the country and has no intention of relaxing them until the Fall. So too does Vermont. Massachusetts and Connecticut tend to follow New York and New Jersey, RI is hard to predict. New Hampshire tends to be stricter in towns closer to Massachusetts at the border and in major cities such as Manchester and Concord, “Live Free or Die” in the White Mountain area, Lakes Region, and the Canadian border.

Edited by Tim K

22 hours ago, skevinp said:

Great show title.

we've seen several variations on this theme, they just had different show titles

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Somewhat relevant, somewhat off-topic so mods - delete if need be to keep the thread open.

The problem is that no one has defined what it will look like when the pandemic is 'over'.

The Powers that Be in CDC & NIH need to define what the end of the pandemic looks like. It was an F-up not to do this from the beginning. I am not talking a time frame, but some combination of % of population vaccinated & # of cases/day. It won’t be 100% vaccinated & 0 cases/day - that would require a massive worldwide effort like was done for smallpox & that took decades. If we don’t define where the goalposts are they will keep moving.

well i think they had an idea, then variants appeared.

15 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The goalposts you reference, IllianaLancerContra, are not able to be standardized to a national model.  From the beginning, the responsibility for dealing with this health crisis was primarily on each individual state administration. Why?  Because those are the administrative decision-makers closest to each set of unique variables.

Some states managed to handle this responsibility better than others. Such states, like South Dakota in example, are essentially in total control of the illness. My state, Pennsylvania, has done a poor job in many ways.

In my opinion, many of these nationwide federal edicts and restrictions are out-of-balance. There can be no “one size fits all.”  Not even when determining if it is appropriate for any corps to perform publicly this summer.

Again, there will be benefits derived through whatever kind of weekend DCI manages to put together next August. Key benefits, too!

and the states have and are floundering, because a lot of what they need comes from the federal government which had no game plan in 2020 and is having a tough time playing catch up in 2021 under different leadership.

which is why from day 1 i have advocated for a bipartisan nationally coordinated approach. it wouldn't be over, but it could have been a hell of a lot less horrific.

13 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I also think housing and insurance are potential problems.

I would hope that things like transportation,housing and insurance were discussed at length during DCI's Winter Meeting.

housing is huge, as is the logisitics of dealing with an outbreak and what kind of testing corps will be able to do.