2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

13 hours ago, craiga said:

Some folks on here are really negative about a season actually happening.  I suppose much of that may have to do with where you live.  Here in Maine, we have had only 636 deaths since the beginning.  No deaths at all yesterday in fact.  In a state of 1.4 milliion people where a mask mandate has been in force since last fall, it would seem like we are doing ok.  The same for Vermont, which is where BAC announced they have already contracted with Castleton University to return for Spring Training in late May. I also think many members (not just Boston) are jumping at the chance to march this year even with alot fewer shows.  As spectators, we sometimes think the shows and placements are everything.  But some current BAC members I am in touch with keep telling me that they are dying to meet up with their friends and drum, play, spin and march.  It increasingly sounds like the number abd scope of shows is secondary to them.

the good news is you live in a state where people take it seriously. Many of us don't, and when you look at some of the places rumored to host events, including Indy well.....their guidelines are less strict than others.

Boston also mentioned going to Texas for things....where, well, guidelines are flouted, but not enforced. maybe when their infrastructure recovers from the snow, things will show improvement.

13 hours ago, Continental said:

I'm really disappointed with people using the term "negative" regarding opinions based on everything that has happened during this pandemic.    How about this, turn off the human condition regarding illness and death and then we might not be so "negative."  

I guarantee you that there are more people on this forum affected by what is/has been going on than are indicating so.  Will the half-million mark of deaths in the US as a result of this convince others?

Oh my, I'm being negative. 

realism isn't always sunshine and unicorns

• Like 1

12 hours ago, craiga said:

Well, there's always Gillette.  Also, I did not intend to diminish anyone's loss. Just trying to be hopeful for the summertime.

i would do just about anything to see live drum corps this summer, and who wins or loses is way down on my wish list of things to see.

i live with a teacher in a district where schools keep getting shut down, and she can't get a vaccine. I live with a 3rd grader who is in school 4 days a week, and her teachers cant get a vaccine.

if i absolutely have to meet a client in one of my banks, I have to get 3 levels of permission to go. then if i even sniffle after i am there i am required to get tested. i have seen some of banks get closed because they were exposed to a customer that refused to mask up and later tested positive. letting my 3rd grader seeing grandparents requires masks....as they are in their 70's and keep getting dicked around getting vaccinated. So while i really, really miss live drum corps, and at this point would be grateful for Flo and all of their issues.....on the scale of important things, drum corps having live events is not on my top 2,000,000,000,000 item priority list. Hell we haven't even met our neighbors newborn yet because we want to be safe.

if i were a kid yeah i'd be going nuts too. But Christ almighty...one outbreak in a corps.....they're ####ed, and so is drum corps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep worked at Portsmouth (pronounced Ports-SMITH) naval yard. Which last court case I saw the base is now property of Maine 😆. Base is on an island and NH and ME been fighting over the boundary line for decades.

my grandmother worked at portsmouth until coming to the Depot here ( aka your former daily jail) in the late 50's. I have family all over New England and that was this summers planned trip. key word was.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

my grandmother worked at portsmouth until coming to the Depot here ( aka your former daily jail) in the late 50's. I have family all over New England and that was this summers planned trip. key word was.

Laugh given for “former daily jail”. 

See my Credit Union due to reopen the lobbies in another week. Think it’s the third time they have gone thru periods of setting an appointment just to step inside. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and the states have and are floundering, because a lot of what they need comes from the federal government which had no game plan in 2020 and is having a tough time playing catch up in 2021 under different leadership.

If that were the case, we would have no vaccines and no economy right now.

which is why from day 1 i have advocated for a bipartisan nationally coordinated approach. it wouldn't be over, but it could have been a hell of a lot less horrific.

Much of our C-19 response is centralized.  But when the people in charge of the relevant federal agencies are idiots, the result does not look "coordinated" at all.  This is why I say "careful what you wish for".

Take masks as an example.  You want more of this "coordination"?

• Masks are bad.
  • Masks are good, but you cannot have them.
  • Wear only cheap/homemade masks, leave the good ones for healthcare workers.
  • You MUST wear a mask when not social distancing.
  • Never mind that I do not wear a mask.  YOU have to.
  • On second thought, mandating masks is not a good idea.
  • On third thought, we need mask mandates.
  • Wear two masks, one on top of another.  The more masks, the better.

:doh:

• Haha 2

Good observation, JohnZ

The glib political inferences are no doubt alienating to many would-be participants.

i don’t know for sure Who’s In, Who’s Out, nor why either decision will be made. I do know there are work-arounds available to many.

One example is travel distance.  A group within an 8 hour radius drive could  participate without school district housing. If a group needs overnight lodging, there is the hotel option. Or, perhaps, private floor space with leased, portable comfort facilities. Maybe even dorm rooms.

This is “think outside the box” time. 

Readily available vaccines to anyone who wants one is no panacea.

I’m very anxious to see what develops. An event of some sort is sorely needed.

31 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Good observation, JohnZ

The glib political inferences are no doubt alienating to many would-be participants.

i don’t know for sure Who’s In, Who’s Out, nor why either decision will be made. I do know there are work-arounds available to many.

One example is travel distance.  A group within an 8 hour radius drive could  participate without school district housing. If a group needs overnight lodging, there is the hotel option. Or, perhaps, private floor space with leased, portable comfort facilities. Maybe even dorm rooms.

This is “think outside the box” time. 

Readily available vaccines to anyone who wants one is no panacea.

I’m very anxious to see what develops. An event of some sort is sorely needed.

Hotels are certainly an option, but what will cost be?  

Financials are as important as logistics.  How much are members going to be willing to shell out for a trip to Indy for 3 days, plus whatever camp/spring training time there is before?

And what about feeding the members?  Will hotels let the Corps set up the food truck in the parking lot?  That might not go over too well with the local dining establishments (who could probably use the business).

I just don't see how this works without further straining, perhaps past the breaking point, meager Corps finances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

the discussion is drifting away from the original topic...see if you all can steer it back please.

Good news: This past weekend I received the email from Spirit of Atlanta for their upcoming February 'virtual' camp for the 2021 season, tour, bridge tour, showcase, exhibition, extravaganza, etc.  March On!

:dancin:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx