2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

8 hours ago, JohnZ said:

the discussion is drifting away from the original topic...see if you all can steer it back please.

Thank you.  I tried to be subtle while stating that the Cavaliers tweeted about percussion auditions this weekend.  Maybe I need to put my Marine cover back on and be a little more forceful.

15 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Good observation, JohnZ

The glib political inferences are no doubt alienating to many would-be participants.

i don’t know for sure Who’s In, Who’s Out, nor why either decision will be made. I do know there are work-arounds available to many.

One example is travel distance.  A group within an 8 hour radius drive could  participate without school district housing. If a group needs overnight lodging, there is the hotel option. Or, perhaps, private floor space with leased, portable comfort facilities. Maybe even dorm rooms.

This is “think outside the box” time. 

Readily available vaccines to anyone who wants one is no panacea.

I’m very anxious to see what develops. An event of some sort is sorely needed.

given the conditions on the ground, here's the outside the box option people should consider...

with the goalposts continuing to be pushed back, it's ####### stupid to try. while in the minds of many in drum corps risk is worth it even if execution is lacking, it's not usually with the risk of serious illness or death for not just the performers, staff, volunteers and even spectators.

to add to it, thinking back to the 30 page manifesto on what the protocols are that corps have to follow...who's gonna pay for all that? DCI isn't a major league sports franchise with trillions in endorsement deals to help pay for the testing, extra vehicles, housing etc addons Covid requires. Having to shut down last year showed how stupid they were about financials before hell broke loose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Building on that, the question that comes to mind is this.  Why in the world of webcasting would we want everyone (corps or fans) to travel to one location for a three-day event?

Seriously.  Given the choice of Indianapolis-only vs. adding several other regionally distributed sites, what are the points in favor of putting all eggs in the Indy basket?

the contract with Indy keeping it there til death do us part

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the contract with Indy keeping it there til death do us part

Can you elaborate?  Who would be enforcing it against who?  Is it really in anyone’s best interest to try to do so under these circumstances?

Also, I wonder if there would not be a Force Majeure issue.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skevinp said:

Can you elaborate?  Who would be enforcing it against who?  Is it really in anyone’s best interest to try to do so under these circumstances?

Also, I wonder if there would not be a Force Majeure issue.  

i would imagine DCI is getting some pressure to something. after all Indy isn't among the strictest areas when it comes to the various Covid protocols out there. After all, they held NFL games there with fans in attendance, and with the new QB in town, I am sure they'll want to add more. basically the building got used what....11 times this past year?

Edited by Jeff Ream

13 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

This is a very interesting article - and encouraging as well.  Makes the summer "bridge tour" sound more and more feasible and likely, in my opinion.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Can't access article without a subscription, but I like the title.  #MarchOn 

24 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Can't access article without a subscription, but I like the title.  #MarchOn 

I could read it and contradictory to me. Says we could reach heard immunity in two months and infections are way down. Thought herd immunity was achieved when a large percentage of people had caught or exposed to an illness. How can a large percentage catch it in next two months if infections are down. Not to mention sounds like comparing infection count today compared to the holiday spikes:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I could read it and contradictory to me. Says we could reach heard immunity in two months and infections are way down. Thought herd immunity was achieved when a large percentage of people had caught or exposed to an illness. How can a large percentage catch it in next two months if infections are down. Not to mention sounds like comparing infection count today compared to the holiday spikes:

I think herd immunity includes those who are vaccinated. Don’t quote me, I’m not an epidemiologist.