2021 - Who's In and Who's out?

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Can't access article without a subscription, but I like the title.  #MarchOn 

Sorry about that.  I don't have a subscription either but it let me read the whole thing.  Lots of good science.  This sentence summarizes my hope for the saving of the 2021 bridge tour: "At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I think herd immunity includes those who are vaccinated. Don’t quote me, I’m not an epidemiologist. 

I am not an epidemiologist either but I thought herd immunity would be when 80% of adults were immunized. I base this on an interview I heard on CNN at lunchtime today where they hoped that by the end of summer 80% of adults would be immunized and a good portion of high school students would be vaccinated by the fall which would make a normal reopening of school a possibility. Of course that could change by this evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I think herd immunity includes those who are vaccinated. Don’t quote me, I’m not an epidemiologist. 

Sorry I missed that point. Article has possible 150 million people will have at least 1 dose by end of March (aka 6 weeks). (So over 40% of US by that time) Also assuming the number of people who have had Covid is 4 to 10 times higher than thought because only 10-25% of cases are actually detected. And the 70% drop in cases is comparison to “6 weeks ago” which would be the holiday spike by my counting. IOW comparing to spike (term is anomaly?) and not average numbers. (Not good statistics from my ancient classes).

Hope this is true but rolling my eyes at the two assumptions and comparison at the end.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

Although much is unknown about what the state of COVID will be in the late spring and summer, one thing is certain: most schools will not allow a large group of out-of-town young adults to rehearse or sleep in their gym.  Hard stop.  Many schools aren't even allowing in-district activities to take place. 

Anyone who thinks that this summer can happen, even in a modified form, is dreaming.

I absolutely love Drum Corps  I'm on also on a school board.  I would not support or allow any drum corps to use our facilities.   The risk, although much less than the past year, is still too high.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

No "x" on popup showing on laptop but it worked on my iPhone! I can even listen to the article on phone.  Thx!

I was actually surprised that I was able to access the article.  I don't understand how most times it doesn't work and then the odd time it does. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

I was actually surprised that I was able to access the article.  I don't understand how most times it doesn't work and then the odd time it does. 

Kept going back to double check and after 3rd time I could only see first screen of the article. Sometimes 3 strikes and out holds and sometimes just weird.

5 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Anyone who thinks that this summer can happen, even in a modified form, is dreaming.

This activity depends upon the availability of rehearsal facilities and performance venues the majority of which are schools. Until that issue is resolved there will not be touring drum corps and no more face diapers to wear. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1