Email from DCI about 2021 Ticket Defferals

As we’re looking at capacity at LOS, social distancing, health rules and regulations for next summer, there is something we need to take into account that makes drum corps audiences, especially at finals, unique. We have a lot of young people and many “young at heart.” There’s not a huge what I would call a “middle group,” namely folks with school aged children. The 50+ group may travel and attend, but will the 65+ crowd with health conditions? I’m 58 and attend in a block that includes lots of folks in the 70+ crowd and between shows the value of flu shots, potassium and calcium supplements, and the pros and cons of Eliquis v. Xarelto come up as frequently as costumes v. Uniforms. Even with a best case scenario, attendance will be way down due to demographics.

Regarding donating the value of my tickets back to DCI, if I don’t attend an event in Indy this summer, which is at this point a likely scenario, I would donate but would like options. I don’t mind giving some to DCI, but I would like DCI to give me the option to donate some of the price to corps that may be struggling. If that option is not available I will still donate my 2020 tickets back to DCI if I do not attend and if I do attend I will still donate to DCI. I just think the option fir some to go to the corps shows “we’re all in this together.”

• Like 2

I’m genuinely curious about what DCI will be doing in Indy this Summer (2021).  Doubtful it will be on a large scale.  I don’t see how it would be possible to put together a number of corps that would travel in from all over the country for just a few days in the Summer.  How would large groups even get to Indy during a pandemic?  Not to mention the social distance aspect in the performance itself.  Hopefully by then the vaccine will be available to the wider population which would help, but I can’t see how DCI would have more than a couple of corps from the Midwest (what does that even mean anymore, since the members themselves are from around the country) with  limited number of participants each. 

Will they play in a standstill or march?  What will the quality of the performance be, given all of the above?

Also, what does the bridge year do to the members that would have aged out this year?  Is this idea for Indy in 2021 their only shot now to age out, or are they even eligible for this anymore?  I doubt DCI would allow someone to “redshirt” for two years, so the members that have been waiting will be 23 when the 2022 season rolls around.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

This event is for one reason and one reason only; $$$! It’s a fund raiser. DCI is in no financial position right now to even support a 2022 tour without $$$.  

I don’t think what you say is without edit. It is a fundraiser but I would add two more reasons. It’s also about publicity. Even if it’s just for goodwill, keeping the activity alive on some level if it is safe to do so is important. It needs to be safe, but doing nothing could be far more costly. There is also an obligation to the employees which is another reason. So many were furloughed last year. I remember seeing on here all but two, but I am not sure of the accuracy. Some of us probably know, even if just through FB, some of those who lost their jobs. There were no work at home remote options where there was nothing to do without a tour. DCI was not a huge employer in the first place, but bringing back jobs is important even if it is only a handful.

Please remember that allowing fans into sporting events during this pandemic is mostly for fan reactions to the games and not revenue. Most professional sports like NFL or NBA and MLB get most of their money from television contracts. Of course DCI has none of that luxury. 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:03 PM, Barneveld said:

I know there's a deadline involved because of tax deductions. But, I think more details about 2021 in Indy need to be revealed before asking us to make a decision.

Very well put.   and also check the wording of the event in Indy “celebration of the marching arts”. I guarantee you the event will include anything related to music that they can put together and barely resemble the presentation during a typical Dci Indy show week 😢

14 hours ago, oldestoftheold said:

Wonder why there is no option to defer to 2022 World Championships? 

legally i believe they can only do one year at a time

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Nephew who lives north of Indy has beed to at least 2 Colts games at Lucas stadium this season, so at least to some degree people are getting into the stadium.

some yes but it's not at capacity. 

• Like 1