Email from DCI about 2021 Ticket Defferals

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

However DCI puts this together, if there will be a "champion", I for one would not be all excited.

I prefer not to divulge the corps where I got this tidbit , but it’s my understanding the corps will have the option to be judged but it wasn’t clear if it would be a “competition.”  In any case, it sounded like there was no intention to name a “season champion.”  This corps is one of the top 10 and sounds like they do not plan to perform for a score, just exhibition.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, oldestoftheold said:

I had no plans to attend bridge tour events in 2021, as it’s just a money grab with a few exhibitions at best. Would have much rather deferred my funds to 2022, especially the Super 3 package. 

I don't see it as a money grab.  I see it as just trying to keep the doors open.  The activity is in desperate times. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:04 AM, greg_orangecounty said:

I had no plans to attend bridge tour events in 2021, as it’s just a money grab with a few exhibitions at best. Would have much rather deferred my funds to 2022, especially the Super 3 package. 

I understand for fans that don’t have or no longer have kids in drum corps or personally aged out of drum corps some time ago, it’s easy to see the current evolution of DCI as overly expensive, too productionized, or whatever, but from this current member parent’s perspective, I still see an organization that creates opportunities for teenagers and young adults to push themselves to their limits, build lifelong friendships, appreciate the value of teamwork, and have the time of their life.  I see organizations that push for new levels of excellence primarily driven by volunteers and instructors mostly paid a stipend while using their vacation or summer break to teach and educate.  Perusing the tax filings of a few corps, even the top corps with year round operations mostly have reasonably compensated directors (certainly some room for argument here I suppose).  Anyway, I don’t see this as some sort of “money grab” but rather an attempt at survival and/or an attempt to provide members with some level of the drum corps experience.  I don’t attend drum corps shows purely for the entertainment.  I attend because I’ve come to greatly appreciate the kids busting their tails in the hot summer sun to be the best they can be as a marching musician.  In a time when so many complain that kids these days are lazy (a complaint I expect to continue to the end of time), I support these young people who are anything but lazy.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 5:37 AM, DrummerParent said:

I understand for fans that don’t have or no longer have kids in drum corps or personally aged out of drum corps some time ago, it’s easy to see the current evolution of DCI as overly expensive, too productionized, or whatever, but from this current member parent’s perspective, I still see an organization that creates opportunities for teenagers and young adults to push themselves to their limits, build lifelong friendships, appreciate the value of teamwork, and have the time of their life.  I see organizations that push for new levels of excellence primarily driven by volunteers and instructors mostly paid a stipend while using their vacation or summer break to teach and educate.  Perusing the tax filings of a few corps, even the top corps with year round operations mostly have reasonably compensated directors (certainly some room for argument here I suppose).  Anyway, I don’t see this as some sort of “money grab” but rather an attempt at survival and/or an attempt to provide members with some level of the drum corps experience.  I don’t attend drum corps shows purely for the entertainment.  I attend because I’ve come to greatly appreciate the kids busting their tails in the hot summer sun to be the best they can be as a marching musician.  In a time when so many complain that kids these days are lazy (a complaint I expect to continue to the end of time), I support these young people who are anything but lazy.

I agree with you!!  But you responded to the right message, but the wrong person (me).  And your son, or daughter, is fortunate to have an involved and supportive parent.