Email from DCI about 2021 Ticket Defferals

Just received the below email about my 2021 ticket deferrals.  I wanted to see what others thought about it before I replied to them….

==========================

Through its participating organizations, Drum Corps International provides a powerful, memorable, and lifelong experience for young people, while filling a cherished place in the hearts of our drum corps community. We believe deeply in the importance of the drum corps activity, and we know you do too—and because of that we feel compelled to share a few important thoughts with you. 

Simply stated, the road to reopening a competitive drum corps season that will keep our performers, drum corps staff members and attendees safe, is proving to be a difficult task in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

If performing ensembles could spring from the ground, fully-formed and ready to participate in July, it is very likely that there could be a significant tour this summer. But, as you are well aware, creating a competitive drum corps show is a months-long process. In a normal year our corps would already be diligently working on their performances, in person. Due to COVID protocols, however, all are unable to do that at this time. 

DCI is continuing to function without the benefit of ticket sales, event-related merchandise sales, and other business-as-usual activities. Despite having made significant cuts in DCI operations and infrastructure, the loss of the 2020 season and the challenges of restarting in 2021 and beyond in a safe manner are financially challenging to say the least. 

We hope you saw our recent announcement regarding the celebration of the marching arts that we will be hosting in Indianapolis during the second week of August. Although we are all disappointed to be unable to host our usual tour in 2021, this special celebration will be something you certainly won’t want to miss. 

Without our normal, robust national summer touring activities, we anticipate that we will continue to struggle to earn the needed funds to keep DCI strong and ready for a full and exciting tour in 2022, our 50th anniversary year. That’s where the worldwide drum corps community—YOU—enters the conversation. 

We have an important and necessary request. We would like to humbly encourage you to strongly consider turning your deferred tickets into a tax-deductible charitable donation. 

As things stand right now, we are working and planning diligently to make it through to the end of the coming summer, where we will then launch ticket sales for the 2022 season. Converting your ticket into a donation now will reserve your place in line to be able to purchase tickets for 2022 ahead of the general public. And turning your ticket into a donation will truly be a significant gift to the future of the drum corps activity at the time we need it most. 

If you agree, you do not have to take any action and we will gladly send out a donation acknowledgement after December 31, 2020. However, if you would still like to defer your ticket until 2021, please let us know here prior to December 31, 2020 and provide your information so that we may honor your request. 

RESPOND NOW 

Due to extraordinary legislation of the CARES act, even if you are not itemizing your income tax deductions for 2020, you will receive a $300 tax credit for ANY charitable donation you make – no matter how small. Check with your tax professional for the details. 

We understand the circumstances are tough for many—the fact is that the situation for the marching arts is critical across the board. We believe that the leadership of Drum Corps International and our member corps is a flagship for the marching arts, and one which our young people cannot afford to lose. We’ve developed a solid plan, and are united in our focus as we move forward together – in the true spirit of drum corps. We simply cannot make this happen without the help of all of our many fans and supporters. We hope it is possible for you to contribute in this way. 

With your continued generous support, we will build a bridge to 2022 and the 50th anniversary of this remarkable organization. We are very grateful for your assistance and understanding, and we look forward to celebrating the next chapter of drum corps excitement and excellence with you and fans of drum corps around the world, once it is unquestionably safe to do so. 

With great appreciation,

Dan Acheson, CEO
Drum Corps International
2495 Directors Row, Suite I
Indianapolis, IN 46241

DCI  didn't make any reference to "carrying over" a 2020 ticket for 2021 in Indy.

To me that is a pretty good indicator that there may not be many fans allowed in

Lucas.

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

DCI  didn't make any reference to "carrying over" a 2020 ticket for 2021 in Indy.

To me that is a pretty good indicator that there may not be many fans allowed in

Lucas.

Interesting point... anyone know how nfl stadiums determine who and how many are allowed in for games? Trying to find out how there is a group of 4 here... and group of 3 over there and then two rows back is group of...,

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

I know there's a deadline involved because of tax deductions. But, I think more details about 2021 in Indy need to be revealed before asking us to make a decision.

Agreed!  Considering we already agreed to defer to 2021 season, it seems awful strange to now say I have to respond or they are converting it to a donation.  We aren't even to 2021 season yet so how is that even legal?  

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting point... anyone know how nfl stadiums determine who and how many are allowed in for games? Trying to find out how there is a group of 4 here... and group of 3 over there and then two rows back is group of...,

I believe its up to each state's Governor.

In N.J., our Governor isn't allowing any fans at NFL games, even though they're open air stadiums.

He also wouldn't allow fans at Rutgers football games.

If anyone follows college football, that was the reason why, in the interest of fairness, no Big Ten 

game can have fans in the stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ShortyRock said:

Agreed!  Considering we already agreed to defer to 2021 season, it seems awful strange to now say I have to respond or they are converting it to a donation.  We aren't even to 2021 season yet so how is that even legal?  

I would be more comfortable if ticket deferral was the default option and response was only needed if you wanted to convert it to a donation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I believe its up to each state's Governor.

In N.J., our Governor isn't allowing any fans at NFL games, even though they're open air stadiums.

He also wouldn't allow fans at Rutgers football games.

If anyone follows college football, that was the reason why, in the interest of fairness, no Big Ten 

game can have fans in the stands.

Thanks didn’t think how state laws affected this. Just interesting to me how groups of people (families?) are together and then the groups are social distanced. Wonder if that is done by seating or “honor system”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks didn’t think how state laws affected this. Just interesting to me how groups of people (families?) are together and then the groups are social distanced. Wonder if that is done by seating or “honor system”.

I don't think it's the "honor system", but I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I don't think it's the "honor system", but I'm not sure.

Same here, most of my IT career was working with databases, including programming. Figure ticketing system runs off a database but how the bleep do you program for groups of people with different number of people in the group? Just too many questions and guesses to list here. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔