Charlie Kammer Passes

Charlie Kammer, an associate member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame since his induction in 2002, passed away from COVID-19 symptoms December 11 at the age of 85. A memorial service is planned for the spring of 2021. His lifelong involvement in marching music in the Baltimore area began in 1944, playing fife […]

View the full article

• Like 1

Charlie Kammer's influence on our activity must be deemed profound when one considers that he was the inspiration for one of the earliest "total show" concepts, the standard-setting "Requiem for an Era" production of the Yankee Rebels, scored by Truman Crawford.

When next you see a complete corps performance that displays a coherent thematic through-line, think of Charlie. He dreamed a dream that became a reality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Charlie Kammer's influence on our activity must be deemed profound when one considers that he was the inspiration for one of the earliest "total show" concepts, the standard-setting "Requiem for an Era" production of the Yankee Rebels, scored by Truman Crawford.

When next you see a complete corps performance that displays a coherent thematic through-line, think of Charlie. He dreamed a dream that became a reality.

He sure did, Frank. "Requiem" was a groundbreaking moment for drum corps. 

I don't post here much anymore, but I'll make an exception here.

Charlie and Bernie Dukes were the co-founders of the Maryland Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame, which over the years has honored luminaries ranging from Truman Crawford to Rodney Goodhart, among dozens of others who have contributed to the rich history of Maryland drum corps. 

And, in recent years, both Charlie and Bernie were mentors to me, in my role as the emcee for the Maryland HOF's annual banquet. I learned a lot from both men...going in, I had no real idea that the "family tree" of Maryland drum corps had such deep roots...  and I will always value their advice and friendship. 

Bernie passed away a few years ago, and now we've lost Charlie. Two good men. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

I remember Charlie from my time in the Yankee Rebels Alumni corps,  I was privledged to have marched in the 1994 recreation of the 1969 "Requiem" show.

RIP Charlie, you did a fantastic job.

SAM

• Like 1