Memories of Christmas shows --

Listing to Minnesota Public Radio I'm hearing lots of music from 80s drum corps shows --
1986, 1987 Santa Clara

1988 Phantom

1989 Cavaliers

Not including 2012 Cadets show - what were some other shows that used orchestral music associated with Christmas?

Edited by tedrick

33 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

1985 Bridgeman had Christmas music, however I understand there are no recordings or videos of that show.  Not their finest moment.

Was that the show that a big "gift wrapped box" that they kept going in and out of ?

• Like 1

1991 Cavaliers. Part of the 1996 Bluecoats, 1993 Colts, 2012 Cadets.

1971 Garfield Cadets re-enacted the Revolutionary War Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army's first significant victory. It took place on Christmas night, as the Hessian mercenaries were sleeping off their celebratory hangovers.

The show featured "Silent Night" and "Angels We Have Heard", among other themes.

If you never witnessed the show but only heard the music, it was hard to make sense of this. It was a hit for Garfield, however, albeit a fairly controversial one.

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

1971 Garfield Cadets re-enacted the Revolutionary War Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army's first significant victory. It took place on Christmas night, as the Hessian mercenaries were sleeping off their celebratory hangovers.

The show featured "Silent Night" and "Angels We Have Heard", among other themes.

If you never witnessed the show but only heard the music, it was hard to make sense of this. It was a hit for Garfield, however, albeit a fairly controversial one.

Here is the Haas family video from the World Open of the show...

1971 Garfield Cadets

I had not seen this before. This version contains several re-writes and modifications initiated after I left. If I recall, these were suggested (and possibly written) by Don Angelica. That would explain the rather rough performance at the World Open as the corps adjusted to some major mid-season changes.

Drum Corps, as a whole, was experimenting with a new paradigm that involved dramatic through-lines and asymmetry, as well as costumes and motifs. Garfield was not alone. The Cavaliers, Madison and others were sailing into uncharted seas, as well.

Sometimes, evolution begins with revolution. In any case, the activity was never the same after that year.

A few bars of "Christmas" tunes seems rather quaint by today's standards.