Coldest drum corps show you attended or performed in?

Since drum corps is a summer activity, the coldest many people have probably felt is if the AC at Lucas Oil Stadium is too cool for comfort. There have been plenty of shows where it was uncomfortably hot, but has anyone been to a show were you froze your backside off?

In the old days when DCM had early season shows in Wisconsin, or perhaps in the northeast would be the most likely places for an early season cold front. Has anyone ever performed or spectated at a corps show where it was in the lower 40s or colder? Any early June temps in the 30s?  Anyone? Anyone?

Edited by wolfgang

Thinking 1975 DCA at Rochester. Saturday Practiced on a blacktop parking lot and were sitting on the blacktop after dark to get to get some warmth. Sunday was show day and warmed up but rain stopped Finals once or twice. After last corps left the typhoon hit and the scores were announced to an empty field. 

Did a parade in Pottsville PA for the week long mid winter carnival. Parade starts the carnival but bad weather so parade moved to end. Bad mistake as temps about 10-15 degrees. As you played more moist air went in the horn and valves froze while you were playing. People who lived on the parade route watched from inside their houses. You’d hear a door open and “play something”. We’d mutter “if you want music turn on American Bandstand”

• Like 1

There was a year in Madison for finals that was unseasonably cold. I can’t remember which year.

My high school band did a halftime show on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field Thanksgiving weekend one year. It was bitter cold but we didn’t care. It was too darn exciting to be playing a Packer game. Go Pack and **** the Bears! (It was actually Detroit, but still...)

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did a parade in Pottsville PA for the week long mid winter carnival. Parade starts the carnival but bad weather so parade moved to end. Bad mistake as temps about 10-15 degrees. As you played more moist air went in the horn and valves froze while you were playing. People who lived on the parade route watched from inside their houses. You’d hear a door open and “play something”. We’d mutter “if you want music turn on American Bandstand”

Forgot following year did the parade again in balmy mid 20s or so. We met at some kind of club that was an old fire house. Had a bar downstairs and one of the over 21 sops ordered a whiskey straight. Bartender brings it and gets the money. When he comes back with the change he sees the sop has his horn on the bar and has the valve (piston/rotor horn) out. Guy is sticking his finger in the whiskey glass and then putting the whiskey on the valve with his finger. And muttering “ain’t gonna ####### freeze up THIS year”. Bartenders face was either creeped out or ready to kill the guy for having the horn on the bar.

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

There was a year in Madison for finals that was unseasonably cold. I can’t remember which year.

My high school band did a halftime show on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field Thanksgiving weekend one year. It was bitter cold but we didn’t care. It was too darn exciting to be playing a Packer game. Go Pack and **** the Bears! (It was actually Detroit, but still...)

Marched a Giant's 1/2-time in fall of 1971 when they were at Yankee Stadium...that was cold!

I have judged band shows in a pretty decent snow, one notable show in Billerica, Mass. I was on field music, and I had to go into a van after each band to fill out my sheets, as it was snowing too hard.

The band I taught for 25 years here in NJ, West Windsor-Plainsboro South, played a Giant/Charger 1/2-time in 1995. It was the famous ice ball game, and our kids were the 1/2-time targets of the "fans" who were throwing ice balls from the top level of Giant's Stadium. The stadium crew had done a miserable job of cleaning the stadium seats after a large snow storm a day or two earlier. It was overall a miserable experience for the band.

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I have judged band shows in a pretty decent snow, one notable show in Billerica, Mass. I was on field music, and I had to go into a van after each band to fill out my sheets, as it was snowing too hard.

Sisters final band show was Chapter Championships at Westminster MD. There was a snow squall in the middle of the show and they came in 2nd or 3rd (forget which). Joke was they weren’t expected to place so it helped😈 

Fun day I POed a band parent sitting in front of me because I was cheering for another band as I knew some of the staff. Little later drum tech for another band sat next to my family to watch his band. Man did I get the hairy eyeball. BTW the drum tech was Jeff’s dad “Hey you want a good seat to watch your band? Come here”

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Marched a Giant's 1/2-time in fall of 1971 when they were at Yankee Stadium...that was cold!

The band I taught for 25 years here in NJ, West Windsor-Plainsboro South, played a Giant/Charger 1/2-time in 1995. It was the famous ice ball game, and our kids were the 1/2-time targets of the "fans" who were throwing ice balls from the top level of Giant's Stadium. The stadium crew had done a miserable job of cleaning the stadium seats after a large snow storm a day or two earlier. It was overall a miserable experience for the band.

Ouch! What miserable human beings to do that sort of thing to hard working kids. 

<looks over glasses snootily> That would never fly at Lambeau!
 The fans literally line up to help shovel out the stadium seating. Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

92. bought a sweatshirt not because i wanted it but because i needed it

• Like 1