Coldest drum corps show you attended or performed in?

Late 60'- early 70's. Salute to Isreal parade Sunday afternoon , 5thave. NYC. Sounds good so far.

Late Feb. /early march. I kept the mouthpiece warm. I kept the valve moving. But my hand was so cold, I couldn't move my thumb!!

But  Monday morning, on the front page of The New York Times was a picture of the Woodsiders color guard. Almost made it worthwhile.

Amost

George Starr 

Woodsiders 68-73

Caballeros 74-75

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

99 was nothing compared to 92. 92 was down to 48 by retreat

Wasn’t there for the, but was 55 at retreat in 1999, and colder before Saturday. Still pretty cold.

I forget the actual temperature, but it was bitterly cold in Concord for Precision West in 2007.   The BD/SCV alum brass group was going to perform before retreat, and all we had on were polo shirts.

We were lining up to go on -- waiting for BDA to come out with us -- and standing next to the building they were staying in.  Someone found the doors were unlocked and we all dashed inside to get out of the cold.

Apologies to the 07 BD crew, but it really WAS miserable out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Lancers at the 1980 Olympics gets my vote!

I marched in 27th Lancers in 1981 and heard many veterans of 1980 talk about their performance at the 1980 Olympics.  Including teflon mouthpieces and anti-freeze valve oil.  

It would be interesting to hear from those lancers that could recount the challenges of playing in those frigid temperatures.

This would seem to be the hands-down winner of the coldest show performance!

• Like 3

Commandant's Own, 1987 in southwest MN.  We flew into an airport in Sioux Falls, SD and bussed over to the High School in MN (By far, my worst flight ever on a C-130). 

The rain/snow mix had the field so muddy that shoes were actually lost on the field, never to be found.  Our "White" trousers were solid mud on the inside from the feet up to the knees.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

On 1/1/2021 at 5:18 PM, 84BDsop said:

I forget the actual temperature, but it was bitterly cold in Concord for Precision West in 2007.   The BD/SCV alum brass group was going to perform before retreat, and all we had on were polo shirts.

We were lining up to go on -- waiting for BDA to come out with us -- and standing next to the building they were staying in.  Someone found the doors were unlocked and we all dashed inside to get out of the cold.

Apologies to the 07 BD crew, but it really WAS miserable out there.

I was there. The temperature was probably in the 50s but it was the wind. And you get those conditions at DVC. Once the sun goes down the temperature can drop like 20 degrees in less than an hour. Those ocean winds come down the mountains next to the college people in shorts are shivering. Probably in the 80s at start time now 50s and windy a few hrs later. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of my years in the mid 90s with Southwind we had shows way up in Hibbing and Chisholm Minn where it got pretty cold. I vividly remember practicing with our corps jackets on and you could see your breath.

coldest marching, hands down, was Auburn Marching Band in the 2000 Iron Bowl. 29 degrees and a steady icy rain that soaked you to the core.

1982 Montreal DCI Finals. Snow flurries. Good thing the Cadets uniforms were made of wool then. But, the metal mouthpieces stung as they touched our lips.