Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

10 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

MAASIN looks like an organization that was formed last year to combat 'malfeasance' in the Marching Arts.  They have a web page but also use most SM platforms. (FB, Instagram, & Twitter)  One would have to assume the Troopers are referring to them due to the timing & a couple of key statements.  Not naming them could also be a legal strategy.  

The person who started this so called organization started out with a twitter account known as DCI F*ckery where they would attack everything including unsubstantiated claims. They also went after a former director over unconfirmed allegations and received a cease and desist letter as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, oldestoftheold said:

The person who started this so called organization started out with a twitter account known as DCI F*ckery where they would attack everything including unsubstantiated claims. They also went after a former director over unconfirmed allegations and received a cease and desist letter as a result. 

Watch it; I was chastised for asking anything about the organization.  It looks like a legal 'sh*tshow' is about to begin... :whistle:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, inbetween said:

Shut them down. 

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read today and that's saying something.  The Troopers have been around for over 60+ years and are a charter member of DCI.  What should they be "shut down" for?

Do you even know who Jim Jones was?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Yikes.   That is how NOT to write a statement.  

If you didn’t question the leadership of The Troopers before, this press release should seal the deal.     

This is bad.  

the old YEA Board said "hold our beer"

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

This was my internal question as I read through the document on their website. 

they had another name until recently and helped break the Ike Jackson stuff

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oldestoftheold said:

This right here is the key information in why DCI and other individual organizations haven't been keen on interacting with the MAASIN group.  I truly believe that the people involved with the effort have good intentions and want to see the best for the activity.  However, the fact that the roots of MAASIN tie back to the DCI F*ckery Twitter account seriously hurts the credibility of the group.  There were a lot of missteps made by that account in the pursuit of a safer activity.  While we all want to see a safer environment, it can't be done with reckless abandon and complete disregard for widely accepted best practices & legal standards.

I also question if the MAASIN group has taken the proper steps to become incorporated in any state, and subsequently if they've taken the appropriate steps to file For 501(c)(3) status.  I only mention this because they're likely to face additional legal challenges in the future if they continue to release this type of report. Not taking proper steps to structure & operate their business could leave the members/contributors to MAASIN project open to quite a bit of personal liability.

11 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

For those that aren’t aware, there have been a wide range of issues the Troopers have faced the past few years, which have increasingly become more severe.  

Why was law enforcement not contacted as soon as a member came forward as being sexually assaulted?  All Drum corps staff are mandatory reporters.   

I’m not sure how they will be able to recruit members until this is addressed. Many music teachers were reluctant to recommend them - and now, many are adamant that they will advise their students to avoid the Troopers.  

that's the one that got me. if it is true they had the two members involved sit down and discuss it with a staff member...oof

12 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Oof.  But what is the credibility of "MAASIN" (Marching Arts Access, Safety, and Inclusion Network) & why have we never heard of the organization?  Are they sanctioned by DCI or do they need to be endorsed by DCI?  In their statement, it sounds like The Troopers are questioning the group's credibility?  (They may be great; I'm just asking.)  

If they see themselves as a “watchdog” group, being endorsed by DCI, DCA, WGI, or any of the marching arts organizations (their website seems to suggest they want the entire marching community under their umbrella) would diminish their credibility, it would be the fox watching the hen house. 

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

If they see themselves as a “watchdog” group, being endorsed by DCI, DCA, WGI, or any of the marching arts organizations (their website seems to suggest they want the entire marching community under their umbrella) would diminish their credibility, it would be the fox watching the hen house. 

I think the opposite is true.  Actually, your animal metaphors help explain why.

A "watchdog" is exactly what a third-party legal, investigative, or activist organization should be... well worth all that annoying barking for the faithful protection and accurate identification of bad actors.  An entity that proves themselves effective at those tasks can and should earn the recommendations of pageantry arts ensembles and/or their governing organizations.

The fox, on the other hand, wants to eat the hens for lunch.  That is not the purpose of a third-party law firm or investigator.  I have seen an activist or two, however, that appear to want DCI chewed to pieces.