Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Do you even know who Jim Jones was?

Has nothing to do with their failed attempts to protect their members. Stop reacting so emotionally because something that has been around for so long may have made some bad decisions. And now they have to be accountable to those decisions. Yes I am very aware of who Jim Jones "was". And he would be incredibly disappointed in the leadership of his corps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I think the opposite is true.  Actually, your animal metaphors help explain why.

A "watchdog" is exactly what a third-party legal, investigative, or activist organization should be... well worth all that annoying barking for the faithful protection and accurate identification of bad actors.  An entity that proves themselves effective at those tasks can and should earn the recommendations of pageantry arts ensembles and/or their governing organizations.

The fox, on the other hand, wants to eat the hens for lunch.  That is not the purpose of a third-party law firm or investigator.  I have seen an activist or two, however, that appear to want DCI chewed to pieces.

when they had the old twitter handle, they screwed some stuff up, and admitted it. hence the change to the name and also some more streamlined procedures that do a better job of vetting. My hunch is the got some people with experience involved to help navigate the waters in a way that doesn't get themselves or accusers sued.

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that's the one that got me. if it is true they had the two members involved sit down and discuss it with a staff member...oof

It wasn't 'two members involved sit down and discuss it with a staff member' - according to the MAASIN post it was the color guard captain that was the 'mediator' (my term).  

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It wasn't 'two members involved sit down and discuss it with a staff member' - according to the MAASIN post it was the color guard captain that was the 'mediator' (my term).  

Question: if someone has a complaint, whose rules do they follow, the corps or DCI? Ex federal employee here and rules were very clear on who you go to first and who to go to if you don’t trust the “first” person.

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Question: if someone has a complaint, whose rules do they follow, the corps or DCI? Ex federal employee here and rules were very clear on who you go to first and who to go to if you don’t trust the “first” person.

The 2017 sexual assault was before the 2018 Hopacolypse, so DCI didn't have mandatory policies in place.

That said, it shouldn't take the events of 2018 to realize it is not ok for a member to sexually assault another member.

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The 2017 sexual assault was before the 2018 Hopacolypse, so DCI didn't have mandatory policies in place.

That said, it shouldn't take the events of 2018 to realize it is not ok for a member to sexually assault another member.

My thoughts are the procedures a person with a corps (marcher, staff, volunteer, etc) can follow to report and hopefully resolve an issue. Not a question of knowing it’s wrong but what can a victim do. If a victim doesn’t know who to report to or what they can do after an incident then all the don’t do it rules are useless 

• Like 1

Reviewing social media events over the past few days:

1) After the press release from MAASIN, the corps director made statements & quotes on her FB page similar to Hop.

2) After the Troopers statement release, their social media accounts blew up with many comments of condemnation.

3) Then the corps director removed her defensive comments that were directed toward the MAASIN release & reverted back to normal inspirational quotes.

4) Finally this morning, the corps director has removed or suspended her FB account.

What a great time to be alive...  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Reviewing social media events over the past few days:

1) After the press release from MAASIN, the corps director made statements & quotes on her FB page similar to Hop.

2) After the Troopers statement release, their social media accounts blew up with many comments of condemnation.

3) Then the corps director removed her comments that were directed toward the MAASIN release.

4) Finally this morning, the corps director has removed or suspended her FB account.

What a great time to be alive...  

live by the social media... (don’t need to finish that line)

• Haha 1