Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

Between their tone-deaf initial response, and their attempt at saving face more recently, plus the gravity of the accusations, at what point does DCI choose the nuclear option like they did with Pioneer and Cadets. Changing an ED, and adding some positions is a knee jerk reaction, and people should see right through it. They need to clean house, and DCI needs to have major sanctions. We’ve seen this play out in DCI and other aspects of life in recent years that there is simply no way that this is excusable. 

• Like 1

Drum corps has always been a soap opera, but it's starting to reach new heights in recent years, and its absence this past year has been somewhat refreshing. It's clear that no one has a handle on how to properly administer and keep the kids safe, and the political BS the activity tends to generate is only getting worse. I'm beginning to wonder if a world without drum corps is not such a bad thing. And as much as I hate to say it, I feel like there are others beginning to think the same thing. 

One thing is for certain - when and if drum corps comes back, it won't be anything like it was. I truly believe that 2019 was the last real year of drum corps that we will see for a very very long time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Drum Corps is promoted as an educational activity (because it is an educational activity).

Educators are mandatory reporters for sexual assault of minors.  

Sexual assault must be reported to law enforcement immediately - not after a discussion on how to protect the organization - immediately.  Not reporting is against the law and puts the mandatory reporters in legal jeopardy.

Why is this so hard?

Just off the top of my head...

Is that a federal or uniform law?  If not, what determines which state law applies when a person from state A says while in state B that a person from state C did something in state D while a corps from state E is on the road in state F?  

Is reporting required if the person making the allegation doesn’t want it reported?  What if they believe doing so puts them in danger?  What if they refuse to cooperate as a result and say they will tell the authorities you made it up?  

What level of activity has to be alleged to trigger the requirement?  Who makes the determination?  Is it considered an assault because the accuser calls it that, or does the educator become a criminal law judge in states A-F at that point?  

What if the accusation itself raises issues as to the rights of the accused?  What if the accuser considers it an assault that the accused entered the same bathroom or changing area because the accused considers the accuser to be a biological instead of a declared gender?

What has to happen in the meantime?  Is the accused automatically suspended on the assumption of guilt?  Is the accuser sent home for his/her protection?

What counts as an educator?  What if the person they confide in is the bus driver?  Or a fellow marcher?  Or a section leader?  Or a minor?  Are all the laws in all these issues the same in every state?

These are just the first things that came immediately to mind.  I’m sure there are other issues that did not.  

It sounds a little hard to me.

23 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Just off the top of my head...

Is that a federal or uniform law?  If not, what determines which state law applies when a person from state A says while in state B that a person from state C did something in state D while a corps from state E is on the road in state F?  

Is reporting required if the person making the allegation doesn’t want it reported?  What if they believe doing so puts them in danger?  What if they refuse to cooperate as a result and say they will tell the authorities you made it up?  

What level of activity has to be alleged to trigger the requirement?  Who makes the determination?  Is it considered an assault because the accuser calls it that, or does the educator become a criminal law judge in states A-F at that point?  

What if the accusation itself raises issues as to the rights of the accused?  What if the accuser considers it an assault that the accused entered the same bathroom or changing area because the accused considers the accuser to be a biological instead of a declared gender?

What has to happen in the meantime?  Is the accused automatically suspended on the assumption of guilt?  Is the accuser sent home for his/her protection?

What counts as an educator?  What if the person they confide in is the bus driver?  Or a fellow marcher?  Or a section leader?  Or a minor?  Are all the laws in all these issues the same in every state?

These are just the first things that came immediately to mind.  I’m sure there are other issues that did not.  

It sounds a little hard to me.

That’s why there are investigations, to find out what happened instead of playing “what if” games. 
As for the what if’s a bus driver... etc the procedures for reporting in any organization should spell out who a person should go to. And also spell out to the responsible person what their duties are. The idea of “just tell anybody” to report does not fly. That’s why the procedures need to be VERY clear.
As for jurisdiction, where the alleged offense occurred is where it is investigated and possibly tried in court. If PA had screwed up and let Jerry Sandusky go, the state of TX was going to go after him. Charges would be from having a minor with him at his hotel room during the Alamo Bowl.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s why there are investigations, to find out what happened instead of playing “what if” games. 
As for the what if’s a bus driver... etc the procedures for reporting in any organization should spell out who a person should go to. And also spell out to the responsible person what their duties are. The idea of “just tell anybody” to report does not fly. That’s why the procedures need to be VERY clear.
As for jurisdiction, where the alleged offense occurred is where it is investigated and possibly tried in court. If PA had screwed up and let Jerry Sandusky go, the state of TX was going to go after him. Charges would be from having a minor with him at his hotel room during the Alamo Bowl.

They aren’t games, Jim.  This is a serious and complex issue and I’m encouraging people to take it seriously rather than oversimplifying it.  

And I don’t think we should blame the victims for not wanting go through any “official” process that requires them to subject themselves to things they don’t want to endure.  

mandatory reporting can seem complex, but it really isn't as long as mandatory reporters are properly trained.  

the key issue is mandatory reporters don't investigate anything before reporting, nor do they make any type of judgment call before reporting.  if you see any signs of abuse you've been trained to look for, you report it, and then experts take over from there. 

https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/laws-policies/statutes/manda/

to be clear, i have no idea how this applies to drum corps compared to public education.  my state has very strict guidelines for mandatory reporting for public educators.  we don't directly contact law enforcement, rather we report it to a designated administrator who is then required to hand it over to experts in the field, which can include law enforcement, of course.  

Edited by Lance
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Lance said:

mandatory reporting can seem complex, but it really isn't as long as mandatory reporters are properly trained.  

the key issue is mandatory reporters don't investigate anything before reporting, nor do they make any type of judgment call before reporting.  if you see any signs of abuse you've been trained to look for, you report it, and then experts take over from there. 

https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/laws-policies/statutes/manda/

Agree this is easy - 

See or suspect sexual assault - call law enforcement.

• Like 1