Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

7 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Drum corps has always been a soap opera, but it's starting to reach new heights in recent years, and its absence this past year has been somewhat refreshing. It's clear that no one has a handle on how to properly administer and keep the kids safe, and the political BS the activity tends to generate is only getting worse.

I wonder if the current model of running a drum corps is simply not up to the challenges of our awareness and intolerance of the kinds of behaviors being reported. Surely the behaviors are not altogether new. But has hiring and managing staff and volunteers changed all that much over the past several decades? Other organizations, like many businesses, have changed a lot. They have invested in people and infrastructure in response to the changing cultural and legal environment surrounding harassment and abuse. It's required genuine changes in mindsets and much money. For the better.

What about drum corps? I think this is arguable. But geeze, members are still sleeping en masse in gyms, cramming onto busses, 150+ hanging out together for weeks in a very intense environment. Has that changed much since 1975 (Yay Scouts)? Staff sizes are much larger. Has hiring processes and the tools available to managers of the corps and staffs kept up with what's required to maintain safety? Do most corps have the financial resources to offer the kinds of training, professional development, and infrastructure to support safe environments?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I wonder if the current model of running a drum corps is simply not up to the challenges of our awareness and intolerance of the kinds of behaviors being reported. Surely the behaviors are not altogether new. But has hiring and managing staff and volunteers changed all that much over the past several decades? Other organizations, like many businesses, have changed a lot. They have invested in people and infrastructure in response to the changing cultural and legal environment surrounding harassment and abuse. It's required genuine changes in mindsets and much money. For the better

Was on a Lutheran church council when we started on this. Of all things the insurance company recommended needed checks, etc. Selling point was saving money on premiums for us and cost of a claim for the company. 
We changed and for some people they were fighting it as it was change from decades of same old same old. Get the feeling some corps have been doing same old same old and not willing to accept they have to change

• Like 1

From Shelba Waldron's FB page:

I’m about to give a brief master class in handling misconduct of this magnitude.
1. Separate each complaint into the appropriate categories of misconduct. Figure out if any need to be reported to law enforcement. CALL THEM ASAP!
2. Make a list of misconduct reported and the person who is alleged to commit each. Figure out which complaint is on an individual and which one is organizational and work the problem from there.
3. Interview all parties confidentially and separately. Don’t lead the questions. Call parents if there are minors and DON’T interview them regarding ANYTHING related to sexual or physical misconduct without permission from the parents. HUGE mistake if you do.
4. Document the hell out of each interview. Don’t make assumptions.
6. For god’s sake don’t victim blame or promise anything you can’t offer in terms of consequences. Don’t get defensive and get your ideals out of 1996.
7. Assign consequences. Make a plan. Fix your crap.
8. Figure out if you reached the threshold for preponderance and if you have...get that person or people away from the others and put them on leave...immediately.
That’s it. Still think we can just sit back and not address this systematically? Or are we all comfortable with this hitting the press every 6 months.
Oh wait I forgot something. Try to avoid having the guard captain address sexual assault between two members. Are you kidding me?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

OK - the Troopers organization, on the 3rd try, has gotten the words correct.

Whether the actions the words promise happen is TBD.

After the 2021 season (if it happens), we need to loop back around & compare member reality to the promise.  Same after 2022 and beyond.

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Article more “danging” than anything else I’ve seen. After reporting a problem to DCI, members were told to keep it in the organization. Anyone else get that creep azz Pioneer vibe flashback. 

• Like 1

here's my takeaway after this, Pioneer and some other stuff that has come out since Hopghazi:

Kids arent gonna put up with the #### we did...it's not because they are "woke" or "soft" or we were macho....it's because they are smart. They value themselves and their health more than chasing a ring or status via placement.

I only did DCA, weekends only....and I adore my staff then and now, but a few times...yeah i think looing back our health wasn't necessarily the priority, a score was.

It is now incumbent on all corps administrations, regardless of size, class or circuit, to get their #### together, and for DCI to grow some balls in laying down some more serious guidelines and/or punishments. Yes, they forced Pioneer in inactivity. But since then this, Oregon...i know i am missing some others...Come on gang. For an activity that preaches about family and inclusion and treating people right, the leadership sure does a #### poor job

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2021 at 7:30 PM, DCIat14 said:

Here is how this should work - regardless of the corps (all tiers)

1) Any and all reports of sexual assault are turned over to the police to investigate.  They are your independent 3rd party.  If that inconveniences anyone...ensure it doesn't happen.

2) Background checks done on all staff & volunteers.  I personally know of corps who are very lax on this policy, even after DCI's safety policies were implemented.  Not okay.

3) All complaints are required to go to someone besides the Corps Director.  Let's be clear, some want to sweet things under the rug.  Not sure who, but a minimum of 3 people for all complaints.

4) A reporting policy that includes the complaint, the steps to review,  & what, if any, corrective action taken.  If for no other reason than for record keeping.  I've heard more nightmare stories about starving kids, no laundry breaks, algae in water jugs, starving vegans, & withholding PB&J (who does that?!) than I care to hear.  Yes, it is a problem when a bus driver takes off with a diabetics insulin & no one can get ahold of them.  Yes, it is a problem with the Corp Director appoints their entire family to the board.   

At the end of the day, we are currently blessed to be a corps with amazing standards & stellar expectations of themselves & their members.  However, every corps should expect accountability - for without it, this activity we love will simply disappear.  This current generation demands better & they will not be quiet until they get it.

Who are "THE POLICE" when a moving caravan/community is in a different state/county/city every other day? Who, where, when does said reporting occur?

Just now, denverjohn said:

Who are "THE POLICE" when a moving caravan/community is in a different state/county/city every other day? Who, where, when does said reporting occur?

Where ever the incident occurred has the authority to investigate and possibly prosecute. As for reporting it #### well better to spelled out in the corps policy. This is no different than any business that has anti-harassment policy.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm naive.

But I can't believe that ,in today's world, and with all that's happened in Drum Corps,it not being mandatory for a corps to report  any sexual assault or abuse  allegation to the police.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1