Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

On 1/29/2021 at 9:11 PM, Cappybara said:

The more and more I silently read this thread, this story, other stories of abuse, harrassment, and straight up mistreatment in drum corps, the more my mind goes to just "blowing it up." 

This isn't an isolated incident. This is a pattern, and it appears systemic to the marching arts. 

I don't have solutions, I wish I did, but I am having a difficutl time seeing a way out of this behavior pattern. 

If only it were limited to being a systemic issue in the marching arts.  It's a systemic issue in society as a whole!  Teachers who can't keep their hands off children, abuse of olympic athletes from trusted professionals while other heads turned the other way, college sports, high school sports...it's prevalent almost everywhere and it's disgusting.  Gone are the days of thinking this is a 'man-only' problem.  Any gender can abuse & assault, just as any gender can turn a blind-eye.  There becomes an awkward line between loyalty & complacency, ethics & integrity.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

If only it were limited to being a systemic issue in the marching arts.  It's a systemic issue in society as a whole!  Teachers who can't keep their hands off children, abuse of olympic athletes from trusted professionals while other heads turned the other way, college sports, high school sports...it's prevalent almost everywhere and it's disgusting.  Gone are the days of thinking this is a 'man-only' problem.  Any gender can abuse & assault, just as any gender can turn a blind-eye.  There becomes an awkward line between loyalty & complacency, ethics & integrity.  

Agree.

In most cases, the right thing to do is obvious & simple:  Contact law enforcement immediately.  But for many it would seem this simple act is too difficult to actually do.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.

In most cases, the right thing to do is obvious & simple:  Contact law enforcement immediately.  But for many it would seem this simple act is too difficult to actually do.

I was reading an article in the local paper a while back about a teacher at the high  school right down the street from us.   He had taken one of his student to a motel in Naperville on a regular basis and had sex with them.  He was arrested, prosecuted, jailed, and there were still people in the comments section on his side and victim blaming.  I think your moral compass is off-kilter when you side with a sex offender over a teenager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was reading an article in the local paper a while back about a teacher at the high  school right down the street from us.   He had taken one of his student to a motel in Naperville on a regular basis and had sex with them.  He was arrested, prosecuted, jailed, and there were still people in the comments section on his side and victim blaming.  I think your moral compass is off-kilter when you side with a sex offender over a teenager. 

There are many times when I refuse to read the comments.  They are most often from people who have no clue about what other people go through in their lives and who feel the need to comment.  

Throughout my life I've met people who were victims and mostly from their family.   I had a friend in the '80s who had very abrasive opinions on many things.  If you listen closely you see patterns. 

We got closer and I eventually asked her.  "Did something happen in your childhood that made you feel this way?"

The answer...

"yes."

Her father abused her as a child.  We are talking about organizations but for many it's beyond that. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

There are many times when I refuse to read the comments.  They are most often from people who have no clue about what other people go through in their lives and who feel the need to comment.  

Throughout my life I've met people who were victims and mostly from their family.   I had a friend in the '80s who had very abrasive opinions on many things.  If you listen closely you see patterns. 

We got closer and I eventually asked her.  "Did something happen in your childhood that made you feel this way?"

The answer...

"yes."

Her father abused her as a child.  We are talking about organizations but for many it's beyond that. 

Her last name wasn't Kenton was it?

17 minutes ago, cmhs59 said:

Her last name wasn't Kenton was it?

No, but she was one of thousands who have experienced abuse.  Sorry to say "thousands" is vastly under estimated. 

Imagine your difficult childhood with much more than the usual "angst" that everyone goes through.  

This is not a Drum Corps issue.  This is a society issue.

I wish I could say I was wrong, but there are so many victims. 

Please just try to listen to what people say. 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 1

Tricia Nadolny shared this latest article from the Casper Star-Tribune on the Troopers, shedding more light on some of those who came forward to speak up about their experiences.

https://trib.com/news/local/casper/with-director-gone-troopers-now-face-deep-seated-culture-of-negligence/article_432d0d51-7de2-5a51-97a2-b6e9b96b8c6e.html

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

Tricia Nadolny shared this latest article from the Casper Star-Tribune on the Troopers, shedding more light on some of those who came forward to speak up about their experiences.

https://trib.com/news/local/casper/with-director-gone-troopers-now-face-deep-seated-culture-of-negligence/article_432d0d51-7de2-5a51-97a2-b6e9b96b8c6e.html

Googled and found it... if anyone is in an organization and hears the words “tough love” or “you should feel privileged to be here” leave before it is too late.... That second line sounds like a frigging cult...

• Like 1