Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

42 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Generally speaking that's correct.  However, survivors, relatives or friends of the deceased may have a cause of action if the defamation reflects on their own reputations and they have, in fact, been defamed by the statements.

At this point what does it matter?  He's dead.  There's enough living creeps involved in the activity that need to be outed and ousted.  The focus should be on them and not looking the other way because they win.

To bad this wasn't the case back in the day BUT I guess different times difference of whats acceptable. I will say there were some pretty shady characters, maybe more so then. At least now a light can fairly easily shine on these predators. Social; media can also bring things to light , although one has to sift through the sewer known as social media also.

Edited by GUARDLING

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

To bad this wasn't the case back in the day BUT I guess different times difference of whats acceptable. I will say there were some pretty shady characters, maybe more so then. At least now a light can fairly easily shine on these predators. Social; media can also bring things to light , although one has to sift through the sewer known as social media also.

Can't say since I marched in the bronze age, but I get the feeling there were far more back then than today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Can't say since I marched in the bronze age, but I get the feeling there were far more back then than today.

Im talking about that period ( so did I )..lol of course after that too.

Youre right though and I agree. I think there were more back then. There was also alot more acceptable then than would be allowed now, in ALL areas

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Generally speaking that's correct.  However, survivors, relatives or friends of the deceased may have a cause of action if the defamation reflects on their own reputations and they have, in fact, been defamed by the statements.

At this point what does it matter?  He's dead.  There's enough living creeps involved in the activity that need to be outed and ousted.  The focus should be on them and not looking the other way because they win.

For real.  The dead can’t hurt you.  It’s the living you better worry about. I know.  I worked at a funeral home for 11 years. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

For real.  The dead can’t hurt you.  It’s the living you better worry about. I know.  I worked at a funeral home for 11 years. 

I’d be tempted to hide in the caskets at night and scare the crap out of the cleaning staff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Probably.  Wasn’t unique to Drum Corps or music education either.  Boy Scouts, youth sports (Sandusky, women’s gymnastics got the bulk of the publicity but other too) & heck Catholic Church all have/had scandals.  At least now it can be discussed in media, & people know what to look for.  And now also victims are actually taken seriously.

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Probably.  Wasn’t unique to Drum Corps or music education either.  Boy Scouts, youth sports (Sandusky, women’s gymnastics got the bulk of the publicity but other too) & heck Catholic Church all have/had scandals.  At least now it can be discussed in media, & people know what to look for.  And now also victims are actually taken seriously.

Received adult annual sexual harassment and assault training for years with Navy (took Tailhook scandal for that to start). Good thing was that the training changed as society changed (same sex harassment, who’d a thought). Also received it as church counsel member just before Catholic Church scandal really hit. That was driven by wanting to cut down the insurance costs (we were going broke).

My concern with DCI is are they really aware this all is a continuous process. Just get the idea too many think “we have policy written down, so we’re done”.

• Thanks 1

Back in 1977 when I was drum major for my high school marching band I was assaulted by a drunk woman at the LaCrosse Octoberfest parade. She thought it would be fun to go in for a kiss while grabbing my crotch. I was 16. 
The crowd egged her on. If that sort of thing happened today the city of Lacrosse, WI would be sued into oblivion. I’m so happy to finally see the light shined upon this abuse. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

She needs to be nominated to DCI HOF.  

She needs to be nominated for a Pulitzer, not just for her work regarding drum corps, but also for similar work uncovering similar issues in the cheerleading world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Some even removed the comments section because of that... PennLive and MSN.com come to mind..:

PennLive.com still has them on Facebook