Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

15 hours ago, Continental said:

I would have switched to the Sousaphone if parade viewers threw Reese's Peanut Butter cups into the bell.  

Just drove by the old(?) Reese factory the other week.... Just west of duntun (downtown) Hershey...

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just drove by the old(?) Reese factory the other week.... Just west of duntun (downtown) Hershey...

Old?  You mean it's closed?  Now that is very sad. 

I once worked with Lindt.  Suffice to say, the employee store was heaven.  Absolute heaven.  Delicious heaven. 

54 minutes ago, Continental said:

Old?  You mean it's closed?  Now that is very sad. 

I once worked with Lindt.  Suffice to say, the employee store was heaven.  Absolute heaven.  Delicious heaven. 

Building for Reese’s is still there but no idea if they make any candy there or if it’s just offices. Trying to remember if they even make Hershey’s chocolate in Hershey anymore or just corporate headquarters. Did a lot of construction around the square and I lost track. Haven’t had that chocolate smell for years 

lol sister worked at a bank on the Hershey square. Tore down the building but vault sat there for months until they got rid of it. Every time one of us would drive by we’d check. 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Oh I'm not.  I have a weakness for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

It's my Halloween go to food. 

If I played the Sousaphone in a Mardi Gras parade people might say "Your tone sounds muddy!"

I would reply "My tone sounds chocolatey." 

I wish they would sell just the peanut butter.  I prefer the Xmas trees that contain more peanut butter than chocolate. :santa:

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Yup. And she’s exposed quite a bit. They actually make dci look good 

I'm sorry, but I must politely disagree with you (and I'm definitely not trying to blow up your argument, even though I'm posting a novel).  Not that she hasn't done excellent investigative work - she absolutely has and this is the value the press brings - exposing horrific things in society.  

I must disagree with you in that it makes DCI look good.  It doesn't.  What it looks like is Cheer has received many complaints for years and had the necessary reckonings to develop policies that protect the participants.  Cheer has been exposed many times (similarly to other activities), not because of how prevalent the predators were, but because they had the ability to go from group to group undetected, so the same people were doing a lot of damage.  Kind of like what sometimes happens in drum corps.  And then you compound that across activities - how many people were predators at a drum corps and are still around winterguards or marching bands (rhetorical question, please don't suggest numbers)? It's not that it happens often, but when it does, it has a wide scope of damage.

DCI, WGI, & BOA don't look good collectively because there are no policies to track predatory behavior.  The house of cards is that National Governing Bodies (NGBs) who don't have a system of protecting participants have very tough defenses to prove they did.  

This activity is still figuring out the whistleblower component.  Yes, it's a start.  But what happens when the complaint of a predator is deemed valid?  Is that what's supposed to happen?  I think Troopers didn't know what to do, and they aren't the only ones.  If we want an activity, it's time we figure it out.  I know of 3 people who abused members in some way, shape, or form over the past year (it all happened pre-COVID).  One of them will never work in pageantry again, but the other two?  Still on the staffs of 2 drum corps - the offense was handled in a different activity, but that person could offend again in a drum corps setting.  I don't care what the vantage point is, that is NOT a good look.

The NGBs who do it correctly post their banned lists.  You can call them while doing a background check and they can tell you whether or not complaints were filed against a person in the activity.  DCI and WGI are still too hush-hush and sweep-it-under-the-rug.  

And I'm not saying anything new.  In fact, it's quite old news.  It's just still allowed to persist like this.  They're always "working on it" and of course they "want to try to make it better" and they think they "listen to everyone and take their input into consideration".

What does it take for the leaders in our activity to implement what the other NGBs are figuring out?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

I'm sorry, but I must politely disagree with you (and I'm definitely not trying to blow up your argument, even though I'm posting a novel).  Not that she hasn't done excellent investigative work - she absolutely has and this is the value the press brings - exposing horrific things in society.  

I must disagree with you in that it makes DCI look good.  It doesn't.  What it looks like is Cheer has received many complaints for years and had the necessary reckonings to develop policies that protect the participants.  Cheer has been exposed many times (similarly to other activities), not because of how prevalent the predators were, but because they had the ability to go from group to group undetected, so the same people were doing a lot of damage.  Kind of like what sometimes happens in drum corps.  And then you compound that across activities - how many people were predators at a drum corps and are still around winterguards or marching bands (rhetorical question, please don't suggest numbers)? It's not that it happens often, but when it does, it has a wide scope of damage.

DCI, WGI, & BOA don't look good collectively because there are no policies to track predatory behavior.  The house of cards is that National Governing Bodies (NGBs) who don't have a system of protecting participants have very tough defenses to prove they did.  

This activity is still figuring out the whistleblower component.  Yes, it's a start.  But what happens when the complaint of a predator is deemed valid?  Is that what's supposed to happen?  I think Troopers didn't know what to do, and they aren't the only ones.  If we want an activity, it's time we figure it out.  I know of 3 people who abused members in some way, shape, or form over the past year (it all happened pre-COVID).  One of them will never work in pageantry again, but the other two?  Still on the staffs of 2 drum corps - the offense was handled in a different activity, but that person could offend again in a drum corps setting.  I don't care what the vantage point is, that is NOT a good look.

The NGBs who do it correctly post their banned lists.  You can call them while doing a background check and they can tell you whether or not complaints were filed against a person in the activity.  DCI and WGI are still too hush-hush and sweep-it-under-the-rug.  

And I'm not saying anything new.  In fact, it's quite old news.  It's just still allowed to persist like this.  They're always "working on it" and of course they "want to try to make it better" and they think they "listen to everyone and take their input into consideration".

What does it take for the leaders in our activity to implement what the other NGBs are figuring out?

no i think you misunderstand me...compared to Varsity, DCI looks good. Not saying in any way that DCI looks good overall

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no i think you misunderstand me...compared to Varsity, DCI looks good. Not saying in any way that DCI looks good overall

I see - I completely get what your saying.  At the same time, yikes.  (and I know you weren't saying that it's all figured out by any stretch).  

I just want the predators out of the activity.

• Like 4