Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

Unfortunately, racism is still an issue in the drum corps activity. 

Examples please! Just because someone said so doesn’t make it so. If I recall correctly drum corps had greater black participation in the 60’s and 70’s. Is racism responsible for all black organizations folding and far less black participation today? Share with us how and when this became an issue, and how this will be addressed to increase participation. If anything DCI has created a socio economic strata that prevents a lot of people from participation. Please no virtue signaling. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would hope that not being racist, sexist, etc would be obvious for any organization that is a character-builder youth activity.   I guess I am overly optimistic. 

you are. America as it stands proves that. I just watched a Cadets alumnus chased off of Facebook for openly supporting the chaos on 1/6 and ranting how mad they were they couldn't be there to join, along with dozens of racial and sexual slurs and insults over the last few years

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, skevinp said:

Does anyone know if, back in the day, there were drum corps that made anti-communism statements or adopted anti-communism policies?

Back in the day, many corps were at one point affiliated with the American Legion or the VFW. Many corps were also started by and affiliated with Catholic parishes, especially those from the Boston area, New Jersey, and New York. Until the DCI era color presentations were a mandatory part of shows. I’m not sure they needed anti-communist policies. 

As little as ten years ago, an anti-racism policy was probably issued by an organization to say that any person of any race, ethnicity, or religion was welcome. I’m not sure that’s the case today. As hate groups appear to be coming out of the woodwork and in so many cases are making their points of view public and in some cases gaining support, anti-racism policies are more a way of saying to hate groups “we do not stand with you.” 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

What were they doing before last Tuesday?

I believe that question should be directed to thousands upon thousands of organizations and not just a singular drum corps from Canton, Ohio.   No, not the Tuesday part, but the need to define an intolerance to racism within their mandate. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Continental said:

Most of the people I've spoken to who question the need for racism policies, have never experienced racism. 

No, I haven’t.  But, I have experienced seriously blatant sexism on an epic level throughout my life.  One incident being I tried to join one drum corps that actually debated right in front of me if I should be admitted because I’m a woman. 

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, I haven’t.  But, I have experienced seriously blatant sexism on an epic level throughout my life.  One incident being I tried to join one drum corps that actually debated right in front of me if I should be admitted because I’m a woman. 

Terri, I'm sorry you experienced that.  I know that it's common.  I wish it were different. 

You come across as a person in charge of your destiny.  While the world and society are unfair still in so many ways, you know what you want and deserve.   This will serve you well. 

One final note, please do not "throw in the towel" on here.  While we see commentary that can challenge and even shock us, we also see change.    

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I haven’t been over here for a while but lo and behold, I come over and see this.

I was a volunteer for DCM championships for a few years and one of the joys of my volunteer work for them, was seeing the Joliet Kingsmen every year.  A small corps from East Joliet.  A corps that I believe truly saved lives.  It warmed my heart see to see the faces of those kids when they’d perform and then later, watch the “big corps”.    What a wonderful experience for them.

Then, what wasn’t so heartwarming, was watching them crushed under the wheels of the DCI money-making machine when they absorbed DCM and performance opportunities were gone for them and other groups like them.  I ranted about this on RAMD decades ago and it fell upon deaf ears.  No surprise there.

Actions speak louder than press releases.  I’ve distanced myself from the activity since the Covid pandemic.   I’ve had time to think about what’s really important and after reading, yet again, about more abuses of members, I don’t know if I have the stomach for this anymore.

BTW, Roman.  If you’re reading this....I let those Kingsmen parents in for free at my gate.  Bwahaha 

I’m done. Carry on. 

This...

Really Bluecoats?  More SJW pandering to bubble world?  So, they are addressing other peoples/organizations/societies racism, but aren't racist but are putting "words" in place for something they are party to or of.  I mean, fine I suppose?  Here, try this, ACTIONS.  After COVID there is so much opportunity to do something.  Change the activity and atmosphere you helped create?  Start a cadet corp or two?  Revive local drum corps?  Donate your 1 year used instruments/instruments to those new units?  Forgo that extra marimba, semi prop truck to make dues affordable or fund these new feeder corps?  When is the last time you supported a black artists music?  I mean the list goes on and on, but the really awful part is that the elites don't want drum corps or the activity changed at all.  Drum corps use to serve for disadvantaged youth as something to do and participate in.  Now, it's an elitist activity.  Sure the kids/young adults are great.  Kids you are talking about or your "words" are pointed at are working jobs to put food on the table and roof over their heads.  You know "survival". So when I see this kind pandering and dare I say snobbish introversion I just roll my eyes at "words".  Ya, I'm sure you feel good, but the reality is ACTIONS require change in attitude and the activity.  So, what's more important that extra prop truck, new everything every year or perhaps investing into something you "talk" about.  Seriously, if people did HALF of what they think or say this would be a non issue.  Being frank it's just "words" unless something happens.  Ya, glass half full today.  Sorry.

Off soapbox....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Continental said:

Terri, I'm sorry you experienced that.  I know that it's common.  I wish it were different. 

You come across as a person in charge of your destiny.  While the world and society are unfair still in so many ways, you know what you want and deserve.   This will serve you well. 

One final note, please do not "throw in the towel" on here.  While we see commentary that can challenge and even shock us, we also see change.    

You might think that happened in the early ‘70’s... Nope.  It was 1999.  If I had it to do over again, I would have told those people to stuff their horn up their keisters and left.  I would now, anyway.  But, I wanted to play so I ate some 💩

• Like 1