Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

15 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

This...

Really Bluecoats?  More SJW pandering to bubble world?  So, they are addressing other peoples/organizations/societies racism, but aren't racist but are putting "words" in place for something they are party to or of.  I mean, fine I suppose?  Here, try this, ACTIONS.  After COVID there is so much opportunity to do something.  Change the activity and atmosphere you helped create?  Start a cadet corp or two?  Revive local drum corps?  Donate your 1 year used instruments/instruments to those new units?  Forgo that extra marimba, semi prop truck to make dues affordable or fund these new feeder corps?  When is the last time you supported a black artists music?  I mean the list goes on and on, but the really awful part is that the elites don't want drum corps or the activity changed at all.  Drum corps use to serve for disadvantaged youth as something to do and participate in.  Now, it's an elitist activity.  Sure the kids/young adults are great.  Kids you are talking about or your "words" are pointed at are working jobs to put food on the table and roof over their heads.  You know "survival". So when I see this kind pandering and dare I say snobbish introversion I just roll my eyes at "words".  Ya, I'm sure you feel good, but the reality is ACTIONS require change in attitude and the activity.  So, what's more important that extra prop truck, new everything every year or perhaps investing into something you "talk" about.  Seriously, if people did HALF of what they think or say this would be a non issue.  Being frank it's just "words" unless something happens.  Ya, glass half full today.  Sorry.

Off soapbox....

When I marched in Royal-Airs reunion corps, who were very welcoming to distaff members btw,  I heard some great stories.  One Cavalier alumnus told me how Mr. Warren went to the juvenile detention center to recruit color guard members.  I also heard soooo many stories from original RA alums of how they were street kids and were headed for jail.  Sie gave them a job at his flatlots in Chicago, got them in the drum corps, and more than once I was told that he saved their lives.  I am a good listener and I loved their stories.  I learned a lot. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You might think that happened in the early ‘70’s... Nope.  It was 1999.  If I had it to do over again, I would have told those people to stuff their horn up their keisters and left.  I would now, anyway.  But, I wanted to play so I ate some 💩

I did not think it occurred in the '70s but I know it was like that back then. 

I listen to what you have posted. While yes you periodically go back to that period in history, it's clear it's a situation that still exists today - on top of other situations you have commented on in this forum.  

55 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

This...

Really Bluecoats?  More SJW pandering to bubble world?  So, they are addressing other peoples/organizations/societies racism, but aren't racist but are putting "words" in place for something they are party to or of.  I mean, fine I suppose?  Here, try this, ACTIONS.  After COVID there is so much opportunity to do something.  Change the activity and atmosphere you helped create?  Start a cadet corp or two?  Revive local drum corps?  Donate your 1 year used instruments/instruments to those new units?  Forgo that extra marimba, semi prop truck to make dues affordable or fund these new feeder corps?  When is the last time you supported a black artists music?  I mean the list goes on and on, but the really awful part is that the elites don't want drum corps or the activity changed at all.  Drum corps use to serve for disadvantaged youth as something to do and participate in.  Now, it's an elitist activity.  Sure the kids/young adults are great.  Kids you are talking about or your "words" are pointed at are working jobs to put food on the table and roof over their heads.  You know "survival". So when I see this kind pandering and dare I say snobbish introversion I just roll my eyes at "words".  Ya, I'm sure you feel good, but the reality is ACTIONS require change in attitude and the activity.  So, what's more important that extra prop truck, new everything every year or perhaps investing into something you "talk" about.  Seriously, if people did HALF of what they think or say this would be a non issue.  Being frank it's just "words" unless something happens.  Ya, glass half full today.  Sorry.

Off soapbox....

You win the internet today.

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You might think that happened in the early ‘70’s... Nope.  It was 1999.  If I had it to do over again, I would have told those people to stuff their horn up their keisters and left.  I would now, anyway.  But, I wanted to play so I ate some 💩

I'm glad you weren't daunted.....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Back in the day, many corps were at one point affiliated with the American Legion or the VFW. Many corps were also started by and affiliated with Catholic parishes, especially those from the Boston area, New Jersey, and New York. Until the DCI era color presentations were a mandatory part of shows. I’m not sure they needed anti-communist policies. 

fact

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

This...

Off soapbox....

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You win the internet today.

Do you mean something like this?

Or maybe their new feeder SoundSport organization Rhythm in Blue?

Or maybe like the Enrichment Drumline they partner with?

"The ENRICHment Drumline is operated by ENRICHment of Stark County, a local agency that provides free music & art education to under-resourced youth. This partnership brings resources to the drumline including equipment and instruction."

Or how about the MANY other youth opportunities they offer outside of the drum corps?

https://bluecoats.com/learning

Edited by MGCpimpOtimp
  • Thanks 1