Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Back in the day, many corps were at one point affiliated with the American Legion or the VFW. Many corps were also started by and affiliated with Catholic parishes, especially those from the Boston area, New Jersey, and New York. Until the DCI era color presentations were a mandatory part of shows. I’m not sure they needed anti-communist policies. 

Lol all federal workers have to take an oath to defend the constitution. Comes from the Red Scare days of late 40s/early 50s. If you don’t trust people working for govt not to be commie how can you trust them people In drumcorps 😈

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

When is the last time you supported a black artists music? 

Bluecoats also FREQUENTLY program works by POC

2018: Home (from Congo Square) by Wynton Marsalis / God Bless the Child by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog, Jr.
2016: Todo Tiende by Marina Abad, Javier Martin, Sergio Ramos, Xavier Turull, and Maxwell Wright (Ojos de Brujo)
2014: Uffe's Woodshop by Tyondai Braxton / to wALk Or ruN in wEst harlem by Andy Akiho / The Hymn of Acxiom by Vienna Teng / Platinum Rows by Tyondai Braxton (That's the entire show, by the way)

2009:  Children's Hour of Dream by Charles Mingus, Haitian Fight Song by Charles Mingus

I could go on, but you get the idea.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Do you mean something like this?

Or maybe their new feeder SoundSport organization Rhythm in Blue?

Or maybe like the Enrichment Drumline they partner with?

"The ENRICHment Drumline is operated by ENRICHment of Stark County, a local agency that provides free music & art education to under-resourced youth. This partnership brings resources to the drumline including equipment and instruction."

Or how about the MANY other youth opportunities they offer outside of the drum corps?

https://bluecoats.com/learning

Rhythm in Blue is new? 

1 hour ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Do you mean something like this?

Or maybe their new feeder SoundSport organization Rhythm in Blue?

Or maybe like the Enrichment Drumline they partner with?

"The ENRICHment Drumline is operated by ENRICHment of Stark County, a local agency that provides free music & art education to under-resourced youth. This partnership brings resources to the drumline including equipment and instruction."

Or how about the MANY other youth opportunities they offer outside of the drum corps?

https://bluecoats.com/learning

Thank you! I remember back when the subject on here was Bluecoats offering scholarships to HBCU students. There were people getting all offended that the scholarship wasn’t open to all. Their whining prompted me to go back and increase my donation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Or some sort of K-thing

oh there was Krazy in that corps

my experience regarding racism in drum corps is both funny and sad..As has been noted, East coast corps ( primarily catholic churches) BITD finally integrated in the 60's...So for the first time Black kids traveled to neighborhoods that were shall we say ethnically homogenous...However, our reception was warm( if you could play a horn or drum) and generally kids bonded based on talent or the lack thereof..lol..the funny part of this expose was how significant language became..You have not lived until you've been cursed out in a language you don't understand!..So, not to make waves, we adapted or accepted these pejoratives to "make the line"..As a kid, alot of these words went over my head, but they were said with a smile, so WHO KNEW?...Okay, so the funny part was learning what these words meant and how to use them in the "dozens"..bonding happened with mutual cursing out sessions..sad thing was, those kids knew who they were , while I never knew my native tongue or religion..peace

Waliman's comment really hit home for me:

"Okay, so the funny part was learning what these words meant and how to use them in the "dozens"..bonding happened with mutual cursing out sessions."

I was 14, living in a neighborhood full of Ozzie & Harriettes and Beaver Cleavers. There was exactly one Black student in my 8th Grade class at Sacred Heart School, and she had arrived halfway through the term.

The neighboring parish, St. Catherine's, sponsored the NY State Champion and nationally prominent Queensmen, and that town had been fully integrated since WWII, largely because it was the location of the St. Albans Naval Hospital. I joined the corps in my freshman year of High School. It was close to 50% Black.

Xavier was a military school and I sometimes had to come to rehearsal straight from class, in uniform. My hair was short. I was a round-faced red-cheeked kid, just ripe for "the dozens".

It was a rite of passage, of course, and I soon came to realize I had been accepted when somebody called me a "scrub-face, pointy-head, Christmas ornament-looking mother..."

Of course, one was expected to have a come-back, like "Who you talkin' to, you snake-face, ball peen hammer-head, bubbly-eyed swamp sucker?"

If you seek cultural exchange you must learn new languages and concepts.

Edited by ironlips
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would hope that not being racist, sexist, etc would be obvious for any organization that is a character-builder youth activity.   I guess I am overly optimistic. 

You would also think that sexual harassment and verbal abuse would be something not a part of a character-builder youth activity, but you would be 100% wrong there, wouldn’t ya? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For all those who are questioning why this is necessary and doubting that racism occurs in modern day drum corps while simultaneously having not marched drum corps in the last 10 years, you should probably shut it. You cannot speak to the experiences those members have had, and to ridicule it is shameful.