Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Rhythm in Blue is new? 

RiB, was originally formed as an alumni group. Shortly before COVID shut things down, they reorganized as the official SoundSport performing group of the Bluecoats organization.

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2020/01/a-brand-new-rhythm-in-blue/

22 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Examples please! Just because someone said so doesn’t make it so. If I recall correctly drum corps had greater black participation in the 60’s and 70’s. Is racism responsible for all black organizations folding and far less black participation today? Share with us how and when this became an issue, and how this will be addressed to increase participation. If anything DCI has created a socio economic strata that prevents a lot of people from participation. Please no virtue signaling. 

I gave multiple examples in the form of the podcast episodes I linked, one of which posted by the Bluecoats back in June. Did you listen to them? What were your thoughts?

9 hours ago, Continental said:

I did not think it occurred in the '70s but I know it was like that back then. 

I listen to what you have posted. While yes you periodically go back to that period in history, it's clear it's a situation that still exists today - on top of other situations you have commented on in this forum.  

Percentage wise we had about as many Blacks as the general population.  We treated each other with respect and race just wasn't a big deal (You gonna talk smack to Ralph Hardimon?)  I'm sure "racism" must have occurred in some form, but I didn't notice it.  What I did notice was  "sexism."  We had a Director (NOT Don Porter) who would not allow overweight women in the guard.  If you were an overweight male it wasn't an issue whatsoever.  

• Thanks 1

Greg asks a poignant question:

(You gonna talk smack to Ralph Hardimon?) 

Answer: Er, no, I don't think so. But I think it might be very interesting to get Ralph's take on whether (or to what degree) racism existed in drum corps during that period.

Full disclosure: he was my room-mate for several years, and Best Man at my wedding.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Percentage wise we had about as many Blacks as the general population.  We treated each other with respect and race just wasn't a big deal (You gonna talk smack to Ralph Hardimon?)  I'm sure "racism" must have occurred in some form, but I didn't notice it.  What I did notice was  "sexism."  We had a Director (NOT Don Porter) who would not allow overweight women in the guard.  If you were an overweight male it wasn't an issue whatsoever.  

If Jim wasn’t banned on here, he’d back me up on this story.  As recently as 2019, we were talking to people at a show and they asked where I marched.  I told them and they said “oh Guardsmen had a great guard”.  I said yes, we did but I was horn player. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard that.  I could throw a mellophone in any direction at a drum corps show and hit a misogynist. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

If Jim wasn’t banned on here, he’d back me up on this story.  As recently as 2019, we were talking to people at a show and they asked where I marched.  I told them and they said “oh Guardsmen had a great guard”.  I said yes, we did but I was horn player. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard that.  I could throw a mellophone in any different at a drum corps show and hit a misogynist. 

I think brass first when I think of Guardsmen, but I am (was) a brass player.  I wonder if the perception of what was good about a given Corps depends on the background of the perceiver?  A guard person will say 'they had a great guard', brass person - 'their horns were really good', etc.  Maybe that is part of what you experienced.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think brass first when I think of Guardsmen, but I am (was) a brass player.  I wonder if the perception of what was good about a given Corps depends on the background of the perceiver?  A guard person will say 'they had a great guard', brass person - 'their horns were really good', etc.  Maybe that is part of what you experienced.

I would think that if it happened once. Even twice.  But, it happened all the time. 

27 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I often think of guard when I think of Guardsmen. Their horn line was very good, no question and "Greensleeves" is one of teh great closers, but I knew some members of the color guards of 27th, North Star, and Boston Crusaders respected the color guard, particularly the rifles. Now before anyone on Guardsmen gets too swelled a head, some of these same folks who respected the rifle line also claimed the corps was filled with rich kids who hired people to polish their boots while on tour.  Now I believe Terri once said that the corps traveled by school bus back in the day, which probably means the hired help story was untrue, but why ruin a back in the day story with facts?🙂 

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Did one have to be crazy to join, or did one become crazy after you joinrd?

EBBUB

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I often think of guard when I think of Guardsmen. Their horn line was very good, no question and "Greensleeves" is one of teh great closers, but I knew some members of the color guards of 27th, North Star, and Boston Crusaders respected the color guard, particularly the rifles. Now before anyone on Guardsmen gets too swelled a head, some of these same folks who respected the rifle line also claimed the corps was filled with rich kids who hired people to polish their boots while on tour.  Now I believe Terri once said that the corps traveled by school bus back in the day, which probably means the hired help story was untrue, but why ruin a back in the day story with facts?🙂 

I laugh hard at the rich kids characterization.  So not the case. I rode on charter buses in Norwood Park and school buses in Guardsmen.   In Texas in August. 

• Like 2