Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

I just know this in terms of where the world is today:

I had an almost 9 year girl in my house mesmerized by the inauguration yesterday because a woman is now vice president. she's 9...she could care less about party affiliation, and if she has leanings who know she hears me bash all parties. But it amazed her a woman...and one of the same racial makeup of one of her friends at school being vice president no less...it made me pretend I had something in my eye and it wasn't tears.

Because i remember when Ferraro was Mondales running mate in 84 and the mocking she got. By adults who were our leaders no less.

we have come a long way but yet have so far to go, and drum corps is no different

• Like 1

Thank You Bluecoats! More class from an already classy organization.

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

For all those who are questioning why this is necessary and doubting that racism occurs in modern day drum corps while simultaneously having not marched drum corps in the last 10 years, you should probably shut it. You cannot speak to the experiences those members have had, and to ridicule it is shameful. 

I think we will all learn more through discussion than by silencing people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I laugh hard at the rich kids characterization.  So not the case. I rode on charter buses in Norwood Park and school buses in Guardsmen.   In Texas in August. 

I also suspect that no matter what people first think about Guardsmen, the second thing everyone thinks of is ridiculous hats.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I agree, & this is not just a DCP problem -  DCP is a microcosm of 'Merica!

Everyone tries to out-quip & out-sound bite each other, while playing to their base, & poking  the opposition in the eye.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I stand by what I said. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I just know this in terms of where the world is today:

I had an almost 9 year girl in my house mesmerized by the inauguration yesterday because a woman is now vice president. she's 9...she could care less about party affiliation, and if she has leanings who know she hears me bash all parties. But it amazed her a woman...and one of the same racial makeup of one of her friends at school being vice president no less...it made me pretend I had something in my eye and it wasn't tears.

Because i remember when Ferraro was Mondales running mate in 84 and the mocking she got. By adults who were our leaders no less.

we have come a long way but yet have so far to go, and drum corps is no different

Ms. Ferraro and any man with daughters' also shed a tiny one that eventful day

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

i mostly agree. Some speech does need silenced.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I also suspect that no matter what people first think about Guardsmen, the second thing everyone thinks of is ridiculous hats.

Actually when I think of Guardsmen I think of the amazing horn line.  '79 in particular was awesome. 

I also think of Tiger of San Pedro and Greensleeves.  They were signature pieces for them. 

As for the guard, the band I was in during the early 80s had a rifle instructor who marched Guardsmen.  She was tough as nails but my goodness the guard was amazing after her influence. 

The helmets were iconic for them.  There was no second guessing you were watching the Guardsmen.