Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

18 minutes ago, Continental said:

Sorry to say but when I see crap like some of the shirts worn during recent protests, I have to agree.

6MWE needs to be silenced now.  That is just absolute garbage. 

Had to google 6MWE and now need to throw up. Good to know who the idiots are but stuff like this in public is not good for country or drum corps (keeping it on topic).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

my experience regarding racism in drum corps is both funny and sad..As has been noted, East coast corps ( primarily catholic churches) BITD finally integrated in the 60's...So for the first time Black kids traveled to neighborhoods that were shall we say ethnically homogenous...However, our reception was warm( if you could play a horn or drum) and generally kids bonded based on talent or the lack thereof..lol..the funny part of this expose was how significant language became..You have not lived until you've been cursed out in a language you don't understand!..So, not to make waves, we adapted or accepted these pejoratives to "make the line"..As a kid, alot of these words went over my head, but they were said with a smile, so WHO KNEW?...Okay, so the funny part was learning what these words meant and how to use them in the "dozens"..bonding happened with mutual cursing out sessions..sad thing was, those kids knew who they were , while I never knew my native tongue or religion..peace

I am encouraged by the youth of today to make things better for all people.  People are not born with racism, they learn it from their parents, family and friends. 

It's not a dead end.  Many learn that prior beliefs are wrong.  Those open to experience are the ones who reject prior doctrine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Actually when I think of Guardsmen I think of the amazing horn line.  '79 in particular was awesome. 

I also think of Tiger of San Pedro and Greensleeves.  They were signature pieces for them. 

As for the guard, the band I was in during the early 80s had a rifle instructor who marched Guardsmen.  She was tough as nails but my goodness the guard was amazing after her influence. 

The helmets were iconic for them.  There was no second guessing you were watching the Guardsmen.

1979 Fanfare for the New was no slouch either.  & I liked the pith helmets, but the monster shakos were a bit too far IMHO  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I also suspect that no matter what people first think about Guardsmen, the second thing everyone thinks of is ridiculous hats.

Don’t even get me started on those.  I remember being fitted for it and saying “ok, you’ve had your fun.  Where are the real hats?”

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What the holy hell...  😳 

And reminded me of a early 1960s Drum Corps News letter I saw. Senior corps show (won’t say where or name of corps) and the writer watched a corps practice. Watched Until he saw a member with a t shirt saying “Eichmann Gas Works” and “I Like Eichmann”. For you non history buffs that’s Hitlers buddy Adolf Eichmann. Yes different era and Sr corps but people like that are out there in all walks of life and all activities.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And reminded me of a early 1960s Drum Corps News letter I saw. Senior corps show (won’t say where or name of corps) and the writer watched a corps practice. Watched Until he saw a member with a t shirt saying “Eichmann Gas Works” and “I Like Eichmann”. For you non history buffs that’s Hitlers buddy Adolf Eichmann. Yes different era and Sr corps but people like that are out there in all walks of life and all activities.

Good Lord. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

There was also someone at the insurrection wearing a Camp Auschwitz shirt. Irredeemable people like that just need to be taken out back and ...

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good Lord. 

Annnd late 70s a Sr corps disbanded and some members joined us. Before the home show my family walked around to talk to people they knew in the corps. Mom asks “who is (describes a former member of the disbanded corps)”. Just by the tone of voice I could tell... 😡. Mom over heard him saying “well next year we’re going to come back... all male and all white”. (The corps last year they were co-ed and multi racial)