Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

13 hours ago, Continental said:

Sorry to say but when I see crap like some of the shirts worn during recent protests, I have to agree.

6MWE needs to be silenced now.  That is just absolute garbage. 

hate speech regardless of political or religious beliefs needs to be shut down. 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Annnd late 70s a Sr corps disbanded and some members joined us. Before the home show my family walked around to talk to people they knew in the corps. Mom asks “who is (describes a former member of the disbanded corps)”. Just by the tone of voice I could tell... 😡. Mom over heard him saying “well next year we’re going to come back... all male and all white”. (The corps last year they were co-ed and multi racial) 

and the south still hasn't risen again

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Himself, obviously.

Anyone making demands for silencing particular speech has already taken it upon themselves to define which speech would be banned.

And you have no problem with what he responded to (6MNE). So do you think all speech like that should be allowed in public? Even if it calls for suppressing others rights or even murder?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And you have no problem with what he responded to (6MNE). 

You must have missed my previous post.  Here, I will repeat it:

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is a viewpoint that needs to be defeated at many levels of society.  Just silencing it, and allowing it to fester in the shadows, is not good enough.  

Plus, I would rather those creatures be free to speak, and out themselves, so that I know who to keep the children way-the-hell away from.

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is a viewpoint that needs to be defeated at many levels of society.  Just silencing it, and allowing it to fester in the shadows, is not good enough.  

Plus, I would rather those creatures be free to speak, and out themselves, so that I know who to keep the children way-the-hell away from.

Yes and I agree with it up to a point. Problem is if it is allowed to be totally open and no one speaking against it or these idiots face no consequences that only makes them more likely to take the next step. And speech than implies, says straight out or makes people more likely to deny rights or lives of others should not be allowed imo.

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Yes and I agree with it up to a point. Problem is if it is allowed to be totally open and no one speaking against it or these idiots face no consequences that only makes them more likely to take the next step. And speech than implies, says straight out or makes people more likely to deny rights or lives of others should not be allowed imo.

You raise a good point.   My concern is that the speech becomes normalized.  You, myself and others on this forum can be shocked by what we are hearing, but at the same time there are those who suddenly latch onto it.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

You raise a good point.   My concern is that the speech becomes normalized.  You, myself and others on this forum can be shocked by what we are hearing, but at the same time there are those who suddenly latch onto it.  

Worked with a segregationalist... he started spouting off a few times thinking I agreed with him. Soon as he found out (even if I was his age and looked like a redneck) I’m liberal regarding race. My worry is if these idiots speak out without consequences they will get braver thinking more people agree with them than really do. And getting braver means possibly going from words to deeds

Edited by JimF-LowBari

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So do you think all speech like that should be allowed in public? Even if it calls for suppressing others rights or even murder?

This is getting off-topic (mods, do what you need to, and my apologies).  But to answer your question... 

Murder is already illegal.  Same with a host of other related crimes (attempted murder, manslaughter, etc.).  Many of those crimes are proven (or stopped in advance) because they were spoken about by the criminals, and that speech was witnessed in person or online.  I would prefer that Congress make no law regarding speech crimes that deprives the FBI/police/etc. of the evidence they need to thwart greater crimes.