Bluecoats Adopts Anti-Racism Policy

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Why do the Bluecoats need an anti-racism policy?

Is this fixing something?

I’m sorry that you don’t understand this goes beyond the Bluecoats and they’re at least making an effort to start to chip away at something so ingrained in our society. I think your comment proves my point. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Why do the Bluecoats need an anti-racism policy?

Is this fixing something?

Given that racism seems to be running rampant all over this country, it shouldn't be a surprise that they're fortifying the idea that it's not going to be tolerated. 

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would hope that not being racist, sexist, etc would be obvious for any organization that is a character-builder youth activity.   I guess I am overly optimistic. 

Well over the last few years I’ve been around people who look for hidden messages be they spoken or non spoken. If nothing else get it on record that it won’t be tolerated. But personally I wouldn’t stop at racism, better to be clear on any discrimination or hatred.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Given that racism seems to be running rampant all over this country, it shouldn't be a surprise that they're fortifying the idea that it's not going to be tolerated. 

Most of the people I've spoken to who question the need for racism policies, have never experienced racism. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Given that racism seems to be running rampant all over this country

I’m curious to know whether, aside all that is being reported about and discussed elsewhere, that has been your own personal experience.

Great to see a post from you again!

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I’m curious to know whether, aside all that is being reported about and discussed elsewhere, that has been your own personal experience.

Great to see a post from you again!

In drum corps? Absolutely not. Can't speak for anyone else though. Every drum corps I marched in has been a relatively great experience. 

Outside of drum corps though, I can say I have experienced it a few times in my life, although not recently. 

Great to be back! Took a hiatus because my White House job was killing me. But I left last week and I'm excited to retire from the military very soon! 

• Like 4

Unfortunately, racism is still an issue in the drum corps activity. The Bluecoats are willing to address that fact openly and set corps policy to specifically address the issue within their organization. While you may not feel this is necessary, current events have shown otherwise, as well as the experiences of drum corps members. It is those members, past, current, and future, who may appreciate a World Class drum corps working to ensure the activity is welcoming to them, starting with their own organization.

Back in June, the Bluecoats Brass Podcast posted an episode entitled “The Black Experience in DCI”, interviewing members and staff who have directly experienced racism in the activity. You can listen to the episode here.

The Dear Dotbook podcast has also looked at racism in the activity in a few of its episodes:

• Thanks 5