Will drum corps ever come back?

As I sit read through some articles tonight on the pandemic, it's clear that these mutations add an extra level of danger, to an extent which is not well known but potentially more dangerous. Some scientists are now predicting the pandemic could last another year or two, with mask wearing being mandatory for years and public gatherings limited for quite a while. If that is the case, I think the activity will have to be rebuilt from scratch with many organizations not able to survive a three or four year layoff.  how does the activity survive, and will it have been gone so long that potential members will have lost interest? 

From what I've read, one of the problems with developing an effective vaccine for covid  has always been  the speed and frequency that covid mutates.

I heard on the news this morning that they're already working a third dose "booster" for the 

South African mutation.

Not in its past form, no. Those days are gone. Covid will not dissapear, just become manageable.   The new model, starting in 2022, should be theatre and concert hall shows, borrowing from Blast, and other Star of Indiana productions.  80 member corps--each performing for around 45 minutes. 3-4 corps per show.  Advantages: No more need for high school and college housing. No need for football field usage. Hotel stays, offset by much lower fuel and bus charges and school rentals.  No more rain-outs, which cause big financial losses for the home corps. Time for DCI to think towards the future, while keeping our beloved activity going. 

• Thanks 1

I doubt it. Between the pandemic, and off the field issues, I strongly doubt it.

• Like 3

Of course it will come back. This is a hiccup in our history and the world went forward years ago with wars and viruses ....but we will support this activity no matter what. We do eventually bounce back but it will take time and smart minds for this to happen. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Of course it will come back. This is a hiccup in our history and the world went forward years ago with wars and viruses ....but we will support this activity no matter what. We do eventually bounce back but it will take time and smart minds for this to happen. 

Problem with relating this to wars is the corps were able to continue to practice and perform during the war years. Not like before and greatly reduced schedule, but still able to hold members and still be in the public eye. 

16 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Like all pandemics our planet will survive and people will always die from something. So get busy living or get busy dying. The activity won’t survive without venues! 

The activity also won’t survive with predatory adults preying on kids, or groups serving sheet cake for dinner because it’s cheap. The bubble was bound to burst, and this pandemic is one of the final nails in the coffin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

From what I've read, one of the problems with developing an effective vaccine for covid  has always been  the speed and frequency that covid mutates.

I heard on the news this morning that they're already working a third dose "booster" for the 

South African mutation.

The flu virus(s) does the same thing and more-so as there are more strains and a large portion of society never gets vaccinated and we’re still here.  

3 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Not in its past form, no. Those days are gone. Covid will not dissapear, just become manageable.   The new model, starting in 2022, should be theatre and concert hall shows, borrowing from Blast, and other Star of Indiana productions.  80 member corps--each performing for around 45 minutes. 3-4 corps per show.  Advantages: No more need for high school and college housing. No need for football field usage. Hotel stays, offset by much lower fuel and bus charges and school rentals.  No more rain-outs, which cause big financial losses for the home corps. Time for DCI to think towards the future, while keeping our beloved activity going. 

Your concept definitely will mean the end of drum corps.  

It’s the pessimism that keeps me coming back to this site.

Edited by Land_Surfer