Will drum corps ever come back?

43 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Local community involvement will help substantially. 2021 is a delusional dream for DCI.  Indy will be a big disappointment. Might fill the void for many - but don’t set expectations very high. IMO it would serve the majority of organizations to stay close to home. Save your money don’t go to the show. It’s all fake hype! 

Corps might have to start looking locally again.... talk about a 🤯

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Local community involvement will help substantially. 2021 is a delusional dream for DCI.  Indy will be a big disappointment. Might fill the void for many - but don’t set expectations very high. IMO it would serve the majority of organizations to stay close to home. Save your money don’t go to the show. It’s all fake hype! 

And if 2021 doesnt happen (or happens minimally) for most corps, even if 2022 comes back with no corps missing a beat on filling their corps, be ready for a step down for most corps as well in 2022. Given the average member marches 2-3 years and we'll have had basically 2 years off, the vet numbers in most corps will be atrocious. Gonna be mostly corps with 90+% rookies out there, which obviously will present a lot of challenges for every group. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

if vaccine rollout continues to be a disorganized cluster...good lord.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if vaccine rollout continues to be a disorganized cluster...good lord.

Our company (large, Fortune 50) just sent a memo out today stating that they're postponing us coming back into the work place indefinitely. We were originally looking at July, but now were being told that it will most likely be another 12-18 months. I believe the vaccine rollout is going to take longer than any of us think, and there is going to be at least one more large spike in the coming weeks/months. Al of this said, any attempt to bring back the activity in 2021 is going to be a disaster and could potentially do more harm than good. SVC and the Blue Devils are looking incredibly wise right now. I would much rather the corps look to continue with virtual education programs and really begin to focus on what 2022 could look like. There are huge obstacles for this activity coming back full time, even if we get the virus under control. The world as we know it has changed, and its my belief that it will be at least 5 years (probably much more) before we see anything that resembles what we left in 2019.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Kind of makes you wonder about all this talk about Varsity wanting to get into the marching arts game.  I feel most would not like to see that happen, but when does it get to a point that DCI (the corps) cannot sustain itself and need to turn to an outside entity with $$$.  I hope it does not come to this point, but the question a year or two from now could be, what’s more important? Keeping the activity alive at all costs no matter who has the control or closing up shop.  

This summer, IMO, is a pipe dream and to keep what little momentum and funding available trickling in.  Perhaps the savior is a little devil and the the ventures it continues to pursue.  Either way, it will take some creative thinking, tough decisions and for the activity to own up to its past and stop shooting itself in the foot with bad press.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Corps might have to start looking locally again.... talk about a 🤯

The decision by DCI in late 90s/ early 00 to kill regional organizations like DCM by requiring DCI member Corps to commit to a single longer DCI tour may be coming home to roost. 

• Like 3

One of the biggest issues, next to vaccinated members, staff, support staff, etc, is housing. Housing was becoming an issue well before the pandemic began and for all those thinking that schools, etc., are going to, all of sudden, open their doors for a drum corps are being straight up ridiculous. In addition, how in the h**l are corps going to afford to stay in hotels all summer long? Raise tour fees some more? The cost per member is already thousands of dollars.
A lot of you are definitely onto something in regards to corps having to scale everything way back. I think World Class might have to go back to a 128 member maximum and Open Class would be topped out at 90.
There are just so many unknowns and so much that has been sped up in regards to drastic changes in the activity; 2022 might be a fresh restart, the beginning of the end, or just the end. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Kind of makes you wonder about all this talk about Varsity wanting to get into the marching arts game.  I feel most would not like to see that happen, but when does it get to a point that DCI (the corps) cannot sustain itself and need to turn to an outside entity with $$$.  I hope it does not come to this point, but the question a year or two from now could be, what’s more important? Keeping the activity alive at all costs no matter who has the control or closing up shop.  

This summer, IMO, is a pipe dream and to keep what little momentum and funding available trickling in.  Perhaps the savior is a little devil and the the ventures it continues to pursue.  Either way, it will take some creative thinking, tough decisions and for the activity to own up to its past and stop shooting itself in the foot with bad press.   

Varsity will make serious change to what the activity we knew and loved is, and it won't all be for the good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Won’t all be for bad either! 

knowing people involved in Cheer world, i have very few good thoughts about Varsity