When History is Kind

It's quite something when we look back on a show that we didn't like/weren't enamored with/didn't respect and suddenly find so much good in the performance. 

This is on YouTube.  

I didn't give this show the respect it deserved.  Now I listen to it and think how much I like it.  What shows have you felt the same about?

I love the Dracula part of the music. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

It's quite something when we look back on a show that we didn't like/weren't enamored with/didn't respect and suddenly find so much good in the performance. 

This is on YouTube.  

I didn't give this show the respect it deserved.  Now I listen to it and think how much I like it.  What shows have you felt the same about?

I love the Dracula part of the music. 

i would agree. I would even look back on shows I did or taught and hated it at the time and now say WOW that wasn't all that bad. I also look at some , even those who won BITD and say, " That won?" or WOW that was pretty dirty.. The eye or ear of the beholder I guess..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I think underappreciation especially happens to shows that don’t place as well as hoped or expected because everyone is caught up in the competition aspect at the time.    

Years later, when we don’t remember or care what a show placed, we are more likely to appreciate it for what it is.  

• Like 5

93 Star gets far more love now than it did at the time

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, Jeff Ream said:

93 Star gets far more live now than it did at the time

I agree but would take it one step further wind say Star overall, with the exception of 1991 and maybe 1990. During their competitive years they were always the corps that money could buy which watered down their achievements. When they left the competitive field it was viewed as sour grapes for not winning in 93. I think Bill Cook himself was loved from the beginning, the corps was growing in popularity, but I think Star in general is viewed more positively today.

I believe one of the finest drum corps shows of all time is Garfield Cadets 1984 “West Side Story.” I loved it at the time and no question believed it was worthy of the title, but when I initially saw it, and most likely I saw it live three or four times, I thought it was inferior to Madison’s treatment of “West Side Story” in 1977. I loved “Officer Krupke” and “Somewhere” blew me away. Today I still enjoy Madison’s 1987 show, but the artistry of Garfield can’t be denied.  

• 1 month later...