When History is Kind

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Ive heard that assumption for decades. Like now and then rest assure guard and the visual aspect played a major role in all captions ( as it does now )  Even back then when there wasn't an actual score. I can remember dozens of tapes with guard comments on them. It may not have had an actual score but you can bet it counted.

It was nice though when FINALLY a major part of a corps and membership was assigned numbers and showed the importance ( which many of us knew already and was growing)

Thank you Guardling!

• Like 1

"My brother and I were there for this performance, sitting right about where the video was being shot. There were a couple of well-heeled, sedate ladies sitting in front of us, my guess is that they were regular orchestra patrons. When the sopranos hit at 5:45, the younger of the two (probably in her late 50's), grabbed the other lady by the upper arm with both hands and started shaking her like a rag doll. I believe I witnessed a divine conversion."

The above comment said it all for me after I first saw this video years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbw3VXneGso

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Even back then when there wasn't an actual score. I can remember dozens of tapes with guard comments on them. It may not have had an actual score but you can bet it counted.

In the early years of DCI, Color Guard "scores" were lumped together as "G.E. Visual," right?  What year did they get their own separate-individual score?  Should have been from Day 1.   

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

In the early years of DCI, Color Guard "scores" were lumped together as "G.E. Visual," right?  What year did they get their own separate-individual score?  Should have been from Day 1.   

Honestly I can't remember ..sometime in the 80s maybe BUT youre right it should have always been. 

One would think I would remember....lol  but I've always been in places where a huge weight was put on the caption so It didn't seem like it was   some sub caption.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Continental said:

I always wonder how 27th would have been scored had guard counted for something outside of it's participation in the overall General Effect caption. 

the thing with 80 was math. Phantom won visual in 5th place

Spirit and Bayonne tied for drums

BD won brass and 27th was 6th

27 won GE by .1

top 4 separated by .8 ( actually .9 but BD had a .1 penalty)

being 2.05 behind BD in brass did it

• Thanks 1