Educators and Covid vaccinations - yes DC related

Opening separate thread as not to highjack Who’s In thread. One big hurdle for DC this summer is having sites. Also as many corps staff are educators (I think) having them protected is a consideration. So any idea where the states are currently or expected plans for vaccinating educators? PA keeps “tweaking” the groups within each Phase so not sure if educators are still in first phase. 

Edit: PA educators and first responders (not gonna say it) are in second phase of vaccinations.... 65 and over in first wave so going to be awhile for second phase to start

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Our state is about to open Phase 1C for educators as well as several other workers such as age 65 & up, grocery stores, supply stores, etc.  But there's not enough vaccine to cover everyone.  All the hospitals & health departments in our area are all out.  They didn't order enough vaccine in 2020 for the roll out.  Other countries ordered as much as 5x what they needed for their population.  It's like the "Hunger Games" movie trying to find the vaccine; just unbelievable. 🙄😡😷 

• Thanks 1

I think a great deal depends on the state where you live and how they roll out the vaccine. By the time summer rolls around, professional educators should have been vaccinated or at least had the opportunity to be vaccinated. As far as drum corps is concerned, any educator who is employed by a school system, public or primary, who has regular contact with students should have had the opportunity to be vaccinated. Regarding drum corps, I believe where you fall in a roll out depends on where you live since every state seems to have slightly different policies. There are grey areas and the grey areas are what can be confusing. An example: I know a woman who works full time as a cashier at a supermarket. She could not be vaccinated in the first phase in Massachusetts but she could as a food pantry volunteer, something she does one afternoon a week. Regarding drum corps, my guess is that if you are not employed by a school or daycare program as someone directly involved with children, you would not be considered an educator, at least in Massachusetts. 

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Our state is about to open Phase 1C for educators as well as several other workers such as age 65 & up, grocery stores, supply stores, etc.  But there's not enough vaccine to cover everyone.  All the hospitals & health departments in our area are all out.  They didn't order enough vaccine in 2020 for the roll out.  Other countries ordered as much as 5x what they needed for their population.  It's like the "Hunger Games" movie trying to find the vaccine; just unbelievable. 🙄😡😷 

The US has ordered 1.2 billion doses, or 3.7/person. The EU has ordered 1.6 billion, or 3.5/person. The UK has ordered 367 million, or 5.5/person, while Canada has ordered 362 million, or 9.6/person. The companies the vaccines are ordered from makes a difference. The largest amount ordered (EU, US and UK) from one company is for the Oxford vaccine, not yet approved in the US. Pfizer and Moderna are next highest; they are the only two approved here. Of course, those numbers are total orders, which are spread out over time, not deliverable all at once. 

I think we are just anxious to reach an end to the shutdowns that patience is not something that is at the top of anybody's thoughts. Hopefully as J&J is approved, and then Oxford, along with continued Pfizer and Moderna, the pipeline of vaccines will get fuller. The Pfizer vaccine has limits where it can be stored and deployed, given its special freezing requirements.

Personal note: I got my first shot today, the Moderna vaccine. My second is scheduled exactly four weeks from today. 

a lot of it is going to depend on how the state has handled everything from shutdowns, rules or guidelines and vaccinations. aka politics

Ok I was not clear and that led to a misunderstanding... I know things are different depending on the state one is in. I was asking for status on any individual state that one might know about. Just trying to get a handle as PA is 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

What state are you in?  i know the 'Keystone' may apply to PA, but that doesn't mean you are there now.

North Carolina is in no hurry to vaccinate teachers. Has even commented they do not think teachers need to be moved up the list in vaccine order. This after saying all schools needed to offer some sort of in person option. 

Edited by inbetween
  • Sad 4