Educators and Covid vaccinations - yes DC related

One item glossed over is that the CDC makes that statement with the requirement that all guidelines are being met. For lots of school buildings, the ventilation/filtration requirements are not in place, given the ages of buildings and budget restraints on replacing ventilation systems.

I hope to see in-person schools as much as anyone, but i have not subbed this school year up to now. I will re-evaluate myself after my second vaccine shot on 3/9, plus 2 or 3 weeks after that....meaning possibly April, if then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

One item glossed over is that the CDC makes that statement with the requirement that all guidelines are being met. For lots of school buildings, the ventilation/filtration requirements are not in place, given the ages of buildings and budget restraints on replacing ventilation systems.

I hope to see in-person schools as much as anyone, but i have not subbed this school year up to now. I will re-evaluate myself after my second vaccine shot on 3/9, plus 2 or 3 weeks after that....meaning possibly April, if then.

Yup. We're running our HVAC fans 24/7 & we're adding the UV Light systems.  We still have a "low number" of cases (10 last week) even following all of the CDC guidelines.  But just tell that to our faculty & staff members that have had or are having a rough time with the virus.  Got my first shot yesterday; extremely sore arm but that's ok.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Instead of a summary by the AP, looking at the actual CDC guidelines might be helpful. It’s pretty clear that the CDC is saying vaccines are not necessary in school districts already following their guidelines. It seems to be saying don’t let a lack of a vaccine keep schools that should otherwise be open remain closed. Also the current director of the CDC was a supporter of teachers being among the first to be vaccinated prior to her leaving Massachusetts General Hospital. The preference is that teachers should be vaccinated. 

Take it masks for all are in the guidelines? Thinking of sis in laws 2nd graders and chance of them properly masking all day. Plus it’s a rural area and mistrust of “Guv-mint” policy is high for some parents

5 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Yup. We're running our HVAC fans 24/7 & we're adding the UV Light systems.  We still have a "low number" of cases (10 last week) even following all of the CDC guidelines.  But just tell that to our faculty & staff members that have had or are having a rough time with the virus.  Got my first shot yesterday; extremely sore arm but that's ok.       

I really wish the salaries of educators was comparable for the risky situations they currently face.

After all, it seems that the consensus is they are just teachers but the kids are most important.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Continental said:

I really wish the salaries of educators was comparable for the risky situations they currently face.

After all, it seems that the consensus is they are just teachers but the kids are most important.  

Yeah never understood the mantra of it’s all for the kids and never think of the adults involved. My old school district had no bus service for two weeks due to Covid. They contract buses to a company that provides service for districts in a number of counties. The company had an outbreak in the office that schedules and monitors bus service.  No office staff so no buses for thousands. Something you usually don’t think about. 

I never understood its all about the customers at the grocery store. What about the grocery workers. 

Truck drivers 

Delivery people

Airlines 

Construction workers

etc etc 

All doing jobs so teachers can be different. Science so far says schools are not super spreaders. Places all over the country have been in school all year. Private schools have been in school all year. 

Just hang on a little longer and watch what the parents do. Its coming. 

Mental health issues of students is suffering. Teachers are working harder doing online or in some cases taking vacations in Caribbean. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

2 districts here laid out what it would take to open full time...one said 24 more teachers to keep class sizes down to account for social distancing, and somehow create 14 more classrooms over a 7 building district

next district over, in a 10 building district said it would take 70 more staff and 56 more classrooms to account for social distancing.

if people in general, and especially teachers here in PA can't get vaccinated, how in the hell are they going to find staff, let alone find all this extra space?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

No

99.97% that get it recover. 

Flu? Yes 

i know too many now that died from it. several shared your  view of it...until the end. then they realized it wasn't the kind of thing to #### around with.

i look forward to eventually attending their memorial services