Educators and Covid vaccinations - yes DC related

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Might have to get in touch with the teacher union presidents.

If they had any pull in PA they sure as hell wouldn’t be in a later phase.... Sis in law’s fellow elementary teachers would rather do in school. They opened twice and closed within a few weeks due to outbreak. Think they want to try again this month.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

The US has ordered 1.2 billion doses, or 3.7/person. The EU has ordered 1.6 billion, or 3.5/person. The UK has ordered 367 million, or 5.5/person, while Canada has ordered 362 million, or 9.6/person. The companies the vaccines are ordered from makes a difference. The largest amount ordered (EU, US and UK) from one company is for the Oxford vaccine, not yet approved in the US. Pfizer and Moderna are next highest; they are the only two approved here. Of course, those numbers are total orders, which are spread out over time, not deliverable all at once. 

I think we are just anxious to reach an end to the shutdowns that patience is not something that is at the top of anybody's thoughts. Hopefully as J&J is approved, and then Oxford, along with continued Pfizer and Moderna, the pipeline of vaccines will get fuller. The Pfizer vaccine has limits where it can be stored and deployed, given its special freezing requirements.

Personal note: I got my first shot today, the Moderna vaccine. My second is scheduled exactly four weeks from today. 

That is great but I was referring to the previous administration, (not a political post), that initially only ordered 100 million doses & then added another 100 million during the 2nd week of December.  I'm hoping the J&J vaccine gets approved so I can receive it as one dose & not have to worry if they kept if cold enough.  There have been & will be human error involved with some of these extreme cold storage requirements.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

33 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

That is great but I was referring to the previous administration, (not a political post), that initially only ordered 100 million doses & then added another 100 million during the 2nd week of December.  I'm hoping the J&J vaccine gets approved so I can receive it as one dose & not have to worry if they kept if cold enough.  There have been & will be human error involved with some of these extreme cold storage requirements.       

With one of the vaccines being 2 doses I always shake my head when I see how many doses were given. Doesn’t really say how many people are now or soon will be protected. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

51 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

to be clear, they ordered 100 million doses of a vaccine that was not yet proven to work. Then after it was proven to work, they ordered more... correct?

I think everyone is ordering all of the working vaccines that they can.

Edited by soccerguy315

4 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

to be clear, they ordered 100 million doses of a vaccine that was not yet proven to work. Then after it was proven to work, they ordered more... correct?

I think everyone is ordering all of the working vaccines that they can.

That is my understanding.  & they also knew that there were other vaccines in the pipeline as well.  100M doses makes sense at first as the distribution logistics was being done by the States (some better than others) & order more as new types, with production lines running in parallel, not in series, makes more sense.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With one of the vaccines being 2 doses I always shake my head when I see how many doses were given. Doesn’t really say how many people are now or soon will be protected. 

Considering they are not yet ready, counting the number that have been ordered seems even more meaningless.