A Show or a Convention?

Whatever it is that happens with DCI-related public performances this summer, it would be helpful to recognize the distinction between a “show, and a “convention.”  There is a difference in both purpose and goals.

In my view, individual drum corps create and present a show.  Drum Corps International, Inc., for Indianapolis, produces and presents a convention.  Same can be said for DCI’s  Allentown, Atlanta, San Antonio weekends.

Host cities have interest in generating new dollars coming into the community.  As such, funding help to cover some expenses of the convention presenter is readily available. Provided, of course, and in direct correlation with the amount of new dollars brought in. This assistance could be in the form of an outright financial grant, reduced price for a stadium, a convention hall floor, separate meeting rooms, police protection, clean-up, office space, staff and materials, cooperative advertising buys, etc.  In addition, it is common to be awarded with blocks of free hotel room/nights for staff. The bigger the convention, the greater the assistance.

A normal DCI Indianapolis Week is a major convention for the community. Obviously, much bigger events happen there, Vroom!   But, DCI is notable, too! Even now.

It is critical for DCI to faithfully produce something big in Indy.  This year will understandably be scaled back. We don’t even know at this point what it will look like!

No matter what this unusual gathering looks like, there will still be new dollars brought into the host community. With three days of variety spread around, incoming participants (attendees) and fans will add-up.

Remember, the host community will not care if there are just 3 corps doing a field performances, a few concerts, just one convention floor event, mini-corps, drum line battles, guard performances, jazz bands, etc. All of this activity can be augmented by several scheduled business meetings, workshops, dining groups, cocktail receptions, corps banquets, etc.

it’s about spending money in Indianapolis!

In another topic here, consideration is given to having several smaller weekends elsewhere. Bring it on!

However, do not discount the importance of pulling as many people possible to an Indianapolis event. That’s our annual “big event,” for 2021, and hopefully, next year. 

Indy 2021 is where every marching-music supplier, every financial sponsor, every Friend of DCI, all instructors, judges, clinicians, etc. can meet at maximum benefit.  This, single “focus” event will be where the best available audio/video products will be produced for sale, where the live broadcast of greatest interest will happen, where every corps souvenir and recruiting effort can benefit, even if their full corps is not present. The possibilities are many.

DCI needs more than just a drum corps show in Indy. It needs another CONVENTION.

To keep this precious heart beating !

4 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I've heard about a guy with a bassoon presentation that could really help drive eyeballs and become the talk of the town and generate word of mouth interest. Perhaps DCI would want to reach out to him. 

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but when it comes to DCI's continued existence.... well, anything to get the checkbooks out, as Fred indicated.  :-) 

(full disclosure: I am only 51% behind the statement I just made... and only in this specific case)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Fred Windish said:

I’m not interested in spending money in such a sterile vanilla place as Indy let alone this event! But interested to see if face diapers will be required to be worn in the oil can. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but when it comes to DCI's continued existence.... well, anything to get the checkbooks out, as Fred indicated.  :-) 

(full disclosure: I am only 51% behind the statement I just made... and only in this specific case)

I am not confident the "checkbooks" are going to be able to find corps places to stay all summer when this is over... unfortunately, I think 2021 is going to be a year where a lot of people are going to need to decide whether they will donate money to something that may not exist in 2022...

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, Fred Windish said:

Whatever it is that happens with DCI-related public performances this summer, it would be helpful to recognize the distinction between a “show, and a “convention.”  There is a difference in both purpose and goals.

In my view, individual drum corps create and present a show.  Drum Corps International, Inc., for Indianapolis, produces and presents a convention.  Same can be said for DCI’s  Allentown, Atlanta, San Antonio weekends.

Host cities have interest in generating new dollars coming into the community.  As such, funding help to cover some expenses of the convention presenter is readily available. Provided, of course, and in direct correlation with the amount of new dollars brought in. This assistance could be in the form of an outright financial grant, reduced price for a stadium, a convention hall floor, separate meeting rooms, police protection, clean-up, office space, staff and materials, cooperative advertising buys, etc.  In addition, it is common to be awarded with blocks of free hotel room/nights for staff. The bigger the convention, the greater the assistance.

A normal DCI Indianapolis Week is a major convention for the community. Obviously, much bigger events happen there, Vroom!   But, DCI is notable, too! Even now.

It is critical for DCI to faithfully produce something big in Indy.  This year will understandably be scaled back. We don’t even know at this point what it will look like!

No matter what this unusual gathering looks like, there will still be new dollars brought into the host community. With three days of variety spread around, incoming participants (attendees) and fans will add-up.

Remember, the host community will not care if there are just 3 corps doing a field performances, a few concerts, just one convention floor event, mini-corps, drum line battles, guard performances, jazz bands, etc. All of this activity can be augmented by several scheduled business meetings, workshops, dining groups, cocktail receptions, corps banquets, etc.

In another topic here, consideration is given to having several smaller weekends elsewhere. Bring it on!

However, do not discount the importance of pulling as many people possible to an Indianapolis event. That’s our annual “big event,” for 2021, and hopefully, next year. 

Indy 2021 is where every marching-music supplier, every financial sponsor, every Friend of DCI, all instructors, judges, clinicians, etc. can meet at maximum benefit.  This, single “focus” event will be where the best available audio/video products will be produced for sale, where the live broadcast of greatest interest will happen, where every corps souvenir and recruiting effort can benefit, even if their full corps is not present. The possibilities are many.

DCI needs more than just a drum corps show in Indy. It needs another CONVENTION.

To keep this precious heart beating !

You make some good points.  

Edited by Continental

On 2/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, Poppycock said:

But interested to see if face diapers will be required to be worn in the oil can. 

Didn't think of it at the time, but face diapers sounds better than face depends!

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Didn't think of it at the time, but face diapers sound better than face depends!

I wish I could take credit for coining the phrase, but that actually goes to Stephen. He hates wearing those silly things. The other evening we were having dinner at a sushi restaurant which had these plexiglass panels hanging from the ceiling between tables and booths. However they were only about 3’x3’. Stephen said I guess the virus can’t go left, right, over or under the panels! We all had a good laugh and agreed that it is nothing but virtue signaling and moral discourse playing one of its central roles to make everyone feel safe. Kinda like taking your shoes off to board a plane. We call if the simon says game.