Can we discuss Summer?

Can we discuss Summer . . .

With fewer personal attacks, less hints revealing your political party preference, and a smaller amount of snarky one-liners?  Not good for “foot traffic.”

The 2O21 DCI Summer I envision. . . 

will see corps travel mostly limited to local, less than 6-8 hour bus rides to perform. Perhaps smaller corps membership totals. Unfortunately, what we would normally consider “touring,” I believe, will take place only during the 2 weeks prior to Indianapolis. That’s 3 weekends to perform. I’m thinking Allentown could become a one-nighter.

The information I’ve seen reveals 15 corps are planning to be in Indy. That’s an adequate number, and could increase a bit. At this point, World Class/Open Class makes no difference. Hope it all holds.

Housing in public schools will be very hard to find, but some will be out there. The rest will be college dorms, hotel rooms, a few gymnasiums not affiliated with schools, and perhaps large floor space supplemented by rented trailers for private necessities. Outdoor practice in public parks, parking lots, increases.

YES,  everything depends on the local Covid restrictions and it’s too early to be firm about those.  I feel confident, at least, something over 3 days in Indy is certain to take place, despite the challenges ahead.

Your thoughts and predictions, respectfully requested !

Thank you.

Edited by Fred Windish

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

With fewer personal attacks, less hints revealing your political party preference, and a smaller amount of snarky one-liners?  Not good for “foot traffic.”

The 2O21 DCI Summer I envision. . . 

will see corps travel mostly limited to local, less than 6-8 hour bus rides to perform. Perhaps smaller corps membership totals. Unfortunately, what we would normally consider “touring,” I believe, will take place only during the 2 weeks prior to Indianapolis. That’s 3 weekends to perform. I’m thinking Allentown could become a one-nighter.

The information I’ve seen reveals 15 corps are planning to be in Indy. That’s an adequate number, and could increase a bit. At this point, World Class/Open Class makes no difference. Hope it all holds.

Housing in public schools will be very hard to find, but some will be out there. The rest will be college dorms, hotel rooms, a few gymnasiums not affiliated with schools, and perhaps large floor space supplemented by rented trailers for private necessities. Outdoor practice in public parks, parking lots, increases.

YES,  everything depends on the local Covid restrictions and it’s too early to predict that.  I feel confident, at least, something over 3 days in Indy is certain to take place, despite the challenges ahead.

Your thoughts and predictions, respectfully requested !

I would like to know the fees corps charge for participants for this summer and how that compares to prior years.   It's great that there is an intention to participate.  I would suspect that the cost of 2021 vs a standard touring year would affect some potential marchers. 

Almost everyone has had a financial hit because of what has happened. 

Edited by Continental

2 minutes ago, Continental said:

I would like to know the fees corps charge for participants for this summer and how that compares to prior years.   It's great that there is an intention to participate.  I would suspect that the cost of 2021 vs a standard touring year would affect some potential marchers. 

Good point!

I would hope corps are willing to absorb some cost for things they would not normally pay for. Kind of a “forward-looking” investment for a future.  Some temporary loans, if needed.

8 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Good point!

I would hope corps are willing to absorb some cost for things they would not normally pay for. Kind of a “forward-looking” investment for a future.  Some temporary loans, if needed.

I don't have any knowledge of corps' finances aside from 990s posted from prior years.   Some on here have been very knowledgeable regarding finances. 

That being said, are most in any position where expenses do not exceed income for 2021?  I think that is key.  

I’d like to hear plans about webcasts of ANYTHING. With DCA I’ve watched standstill concerts of mini Corps and alumni types. Watched minis that had drill in the show. Plus full field shows of Prelims, Finals and exhibition. Don’t care if it’s 2 horns and a bass drum... get it on the web and pick up some $$$&.

I would suggest that DCI/Corps find out the extra charge school districts will charge for extra cleaners to disinfect and spray. Our district is constantly spraying after school and on weekends  and I believe the costs are high. 

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Almost everyone has had a financial hit because of what has happened. 

Potential 2021 member on Reddit indicated $2000-$2500 is what they were told by their Corps.  I am not certain which Corps this is so will not speculate. 

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Potential 2021 member on Reddit indicated $2000-$2500 is what they were told by their Corps.  I am not certain which Corps this is so will not speculate. 

Although I understand the reasons, that seems like a lot less bang for the buck than a conventional season provides, and I wonder how this will affect participation.  

I also think it’s possible, if not probable, that a significant number of young people will not have access to the vaccine in time.  My wife is high risk, and she has been told it will still be months for her, so it seems reasonable that a lot of young people will have to wait a good bit longer.

And even if they turn out to get it in time, they won’t know they will until it happens, which makes it harder to commit, plan, and so forth.

If even this is possible, I honestly think it would make sense to replace the current notion of Indy in person with something virtual that aggregates local performances  of each group.  That way they have much more control of the environment, more time to focus on the performance, and more money they didn’t have to spend on travel.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3