Can we discuss Summer?

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The information I’ve seen reveals 15 corps are planning to be in Indy. That’s an adequate number, and could increase a bit. At this point, World Class/Open Class makes no difference. Hope it all holds.

Are any open-class corps among those known to be attending?  (And if not, how many might possibly add in?)

I see any attempt to do anything even remotely close to drum corps how we are used to it being financially destructive in order to follow the protocols, housing, insurance etc demands...and medical costs. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Continental said:

I don't have any knowledge of corps' finances aside from 990s posted from prior years.   Some on here have been very knowledgeable regarding finances. 

That being said, are most in any position where expenses do not exceed income for 2021?  I think that is key.  

if you follow the manifesto that was leaked a few months ago, the costs will be staggering. And the corps who i would think have the best chance to survive it financialy have opted out of a 2021

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I would suggest that DCI/Corps find out the extra charge school districts will charge for extra cleaners to disinfect and spray. Our district is constantly spraying after school and on weekends  and I believe the costs are high. 

first find schools willing to let outside groups in period

• Like 3

I work for a large university on the west coast with housing for about 16,000 people.  The campus has already announced that there will be no conference housing this summer, which would include groups like drum corps.  We're walking away from millions of dollars of revenue, but there are too many unanswered questions about how the pandemic plays out over the next few months to host outside groups summer 2021.  I can't imagine that K-12 is going to be any different in terms of renting out their facilities.  Maybe things are different in the Midwest and East.  

So weekend drum corps may be the best way to keep the activity active until we get back to normal...if we ever will.

5 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

I work for a large university on the west coast with housing for about 16,000 people.  The campus has already announced that there will be no conference housing this summer, which would include groups like drum corps.  We're walking away from millions of dollars of revenue, but there are too many unanswered questions about how the pandemic plays out over the next few months to host outside groups summer 2021.  I can't imagine that K-12 is going to be any different in terms of renting out their facilities.  Maybe things are different in the Midwest and East.  

I can tell you that where I live in North Jersey,some K-12  school districts  haven't said if they'd allow the Municipality's Summer Programs to use their facilities.

If school boards are not giving the green light to their own town's Summer Programs,seems unlikely they'll even consider outside groups,like a Drum Corps.

I make no claim to know how corps and DCI, Inc. manage their budgets, but will assume a corps that normally travels overnight  over 4 weeks can travel for 2 weeks at the same expense or less.

Impossible to know what individual K-12 schools districts will decide, but do know the Allentown community can find other (non-school) type floor spaces for about 10 corps, not including reasonably priced (per person) hotel options for others. I would think, some corps member families would be willing to “hotel” their young performers at their own expense under these unusual circumstances. Dropping everyone off where they need to be for practice, etc.

Also seems to me, whatever costs DCI, Inc. spends for a big annual meeting in January can be spent for a very similar big meeting during Indy Championship Week instead of January this time.

Other question ..... Will members pay additional fees to tour IF corps have to pay extra for housing (maybe in hotels)?

Personally don't think that this year will be successful and any corps that does participate could lose money and potentially lose members if they get sick.

• Like 2

I know I sound like Mr. Negative but just trying to be realistic.

• Like 1