Can we discuss Summer?

I also should mention that during the last several years at Castleton, the members have stayed in the dorms and eaten in the cafeteria with the food prepared by the school food service.  I think they've really only used the food truck for the 4th meal after the evening rehearsal.  Not sure if that will change.

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Am I the only person that is beginning to think DCI is rather risk-averse, even in situations where strong leadership is required?  

not sure if I would agree with "risk adverse"... but perhaps "absent"

for instance, I don't think DCI is at all risk adverse when dealing with sexual harassment and assault. They have buried their head in the sand on that front for years and it seems to work fine for them, so it seems somewhat natural they would try they same thing with COVID. 

• Like 1

Not Indy, not Summer and not Drum Corps but kind of a wake up call with another nation wide activity.

Antique Automobile Club of America usually has their annual multi-day winter convention in February at Philly. Thousands of people with many seminars, training sessions, meetings, yada, yada. IOW not a small thing. For 2021 this was moved to April because of Covid. Just got the email that AACA has worked with Philly and.... cancelled everything as not expected to be able to find a place willing to host in April.

If nothing else open with the members with what is going on and why.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

So weekend drum corps may be the best way to keep the activity active until we get back to normal...if we ever will.

except corps arent local like they used to be...so what...everyone flies in thursday...where do you house them?

then bus them out for a show.....or two shows...again...where do you house them?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Do you know if corps are making the "manifesto" available to potential members ?

In my opinion,it would be helpful if DCI finally released this to the public.

i dont know. they obviously got mad when it leaked and went after the places it was posted and got it yanked pretty fast

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Am I the only person that is beginning to think DCI is rather risk-averse, even in situations especially strong leadership is required?  

edited for accuracy

Normally this time of year Volunteers are marking their calendars, finding places where they can join the tour, taking time off work or pleasure so they can help out the corps for a few days or weeks. Volunteer coordinators are filling in the holes making sure they have coverage for the entire tour.  Bus companies are making sure that drivers who know the Drum corps daily rhythm are blocked off for the summer. Truck drivers are clearing their schedules to make sure they are available. 

This late in the year not knowing what kind of a schedule they will have, if any has to be really tough on corps staffs.  Corps becoming national in scope makes it very difficult to do some type of limited regional summer as some mid west groups have expressed an interest in maybe doing. 

It takes a huge army of weird goofy dedicated volunteers to keep a tour going. The system has been built on helping corps you like regardless of geography, just meet the corps and ride with them for 2 weeks. I am not sure people will fly from CA to work the food truck in Chicago for a 3 days regional tour weekend..

Does a 40 member soundsport require the food trailer to get out and be pulled by a semi ?  Do you fill one equipment trailer and leave the others in the parking lot ?   Will parents pay thousands of dollars for a 3 weeks summer program ? 

For marchers they don't know what the future brings . I understand that next year they might get that great internship, or financial situations might change and this may be their last opportunity at some type of DCI experience. I hate to deny kids an opportunity, but I just don't see the season coming together.

I have been hacked out of my Facebook account for several months, and that is where I get most corps announcements. To the best of my knowledge I havn't seen any announcements of shows being hosted yet and it is really hard to plan  schedule based on a bunch of maybes

Sorry for my ramblings I woke really early and have been thinking a lot about my summer plans   and am frustrated that I cannot pencil in the days to be with the corps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very helpful reply, totaleefree. I appreciate your insight. 

A complex matter, no doubt.  Some corps will find a way toward solutions, and I’m remaining positive. A two-year down period, if it happens, runs the risk of too many people and support entities finding a way to “live without,” so to speak. Perhaps, an even bigger problem.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont know. they obviously got mad when it leaked and went after the places it was posted and got it yanked pretty fast

I could understand DCI wanting to give corps time to go through the document,before making them public.

But,I believe the "manifesto" came out last November.

Seems odd,that,if these are the protocols DCI expects all corps to follow,they are still being so secretive about them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

edited for accuracy

A lot of us learned life lessons in Drum Corps, such as dealing with adversity head-on, be honest & up front, etc etc.  These lessons were FAR more important than how to play a horn, hit a drum, or spin a flag.   But that (for me) was 35 years ago.  I just don’t understand the head-in-sand mindset of the current leadership within the activity.  Where is the modern-day Jim Jones, Bill Cook,  Don Warren & Geo. Bonfiglio?   

• Thanks 1